Odd noises while shifting

-

1970Dart198

Reaction score
So I have a 198 ci slant six in my '70 Dart. I have a TorqueFlite A904 auto transmission as well.

When shifting, usually down-shifting from 2nd to 1st, it makes a low thud. It gets into gear well, but the sound gets annoying.

Another odd noise coming from the transmission is this pinging noise. It sounds like an M1 Garand ejecting a clip after the last round.

I changed the belts, new filters and changed the fluids as soon as I got the car.
The noise startles new passengers and has been an annoyance while driving around town.

Is it the linkage? Or something I don't know about? and has anyone else had these odd sounds?

Thanks in advance.

^^^^What he said, and thump is probably the trans mount.

How difficult/time consuming would it be to change the transmission mount and U Joint? How many joints and mounts will I need? I have jack stands and the like, and where is the mount located?

Thanks

How difficult/time consuming would it be to change the transmission mount? I have jack stands and the like, and where is the mount located?

Thanks

When you take the driveline out to fix those ujoints grab the back of the trans and give it a good yank up and down and sideways and you'll see it.
It bolts to the crossmember and the trans both.
4 long bolts with nuts hold the crossmember to the car body and two bolts go up through the mount flanges into the trans case.

You might even consider replacing the cork gasket under that little plate with the big phillips screws in it while your in there anyway.
A lot of people don't know it's there since it's kind of hidden under the mount.

How difficult/time consuming would it be to change the transmission mount and U Joint? How many joints and mounts will I need? I have jack stands and the like, and where is the mount located?

Thanks

Sometimes a metallic "ping" (funny about the M1 clip, haven't heard that in "awhile," LOL) many times is slack in the joints, yoke/ driveline, and also play in the rear axle, especially a non-limited slip (Sure Grip.) Putting the trans from one direction to the other 'bangs' the slop out of the ring/ pinion and spider gears. IF that is what it is, could be considered "normal" on a somewhat worn drive train.

You sound like you might need a shop manual

Free download:

Thank AbodyJoe, I had nothing to do with it

[ame="http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/70%20Dart%20Challenger%20Serv%20Man1.pdf"]http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/70%20Dart%20Challenger%20Serv%20Man1.pdf[/ame]

-
Back