Odd state driving laws

-
and it should be. Years ago I knew some freak from "Brush Prairie" WA who drove some sort of rendering truck. It became apparrent he was off work for an injured foot.

said "he jumped out of the truck barefoot."

Let's see. DRIVING ....a RENDERING...TRUCK...BAREFOOT...around...FARMYARDS...and other ROUGH GROUND... together with SNAKES....TRASH AND DEBRI....and let's not forget the DEAD ANIMALS...yea I'm thinkin barefoot is the way to go there.

AH HA! he wasn't actually injured whie driving! LOL. Seriously, driving barefoot may not be the best plan, but what about those floopy-'70s flip-flops? And what about some of those stripper-platforms some women wear now? That's just crazy-ness!

two cars reach a four way intersection at exactly the same time on two intersecting roads and it is a four way stop, Q: who can legally go through the intersection first?
and who must yield

The guy with the CHEAPER CAR! \\:D/

I remember my brother one time talking about how he'd like to get some old "barge sized" beater. Paint "NO HUNTING" in white spray paint on the tires & replace the bumpers with railroad ties. Would you try to beat that car through the intersection? :D

so if you are doing 65 in a solar powered electric car you cant get a ticket
Knowing the state of AZ, yes. On different note, before I retired from the Post Office I used to run an AFCS, the machine that cancelled the stamps. The company that processed all of the photo redlight/speeding tickets used to dump there mail in one of our collection boxes. Thing was, they did not seal any of them. Want to cause chaos for an AFCS operator don't seal your mail, especially if you are dropping several thousand letters in the mail box. Some of the operators would stop the machine and pick them all out, while others would just turn the volume up on the IPOD and let her rip, literally. I can't help but wonder how many people never got there tickets. My wife was one of the people that repaired any mail that might have gotten damaged. She always looked forward to the night this junk would show up, looking at everyones picture was good for a laugh....

Is it me or this basically as follows - a flashing yellow arrow is the same as a regular green light (no arrow) being you can turn but you yield to oncoming traffic.....

No, flashing yellow arrows are on dedicated turn lanes, so it's a different situation. Basically it makes it so when you used to sit waiting at a red arrow, with no oncoming traffic, and you always wanted to just run it...

The blinking yellow arrow is absolutely genius. Roundabouts on the other hand, only work in Europe where people actually know how to drive on them.

I thought they fake as well, but they are Florida law:

If an elephant is tied to a parking meter, the owner or attendant must deposit money in the meter.

It is illegal to block any traveled wagon road.

In Florida you may not ride a skateboard without license.

Also in Florida, if your License Plate is covered ANYWHERE on any portion of the plate, it is an arrestable offense.

And painting or tinting your tail-lights is considered a non-moving violation ($79 fine).

Oh, and a woman got a DUI for being over the limit in an electric wheelchair in Spring Hills, Florida.

In Wyoming, you can drink and drive and there are drive through bars where you can get a mixed drink on your way home from work..... However, you cannot drive drunk (as it should be).

Its in the Illinois code, There is no fine or penalty if you are seen throwing water or chicken feathers out of a car window. You can though be fined $100 bucks if you are caught flicking a cigarrete butt out the window, REALLY!!

All my work is either in Maryland or Virginia. A guy at work recently told me that it is illegal to pass on the right in Virginia, is this true, virginia members? The main roads I travel are dual highways, with 55 posted, but everyone usually cruises 65, and cops generally give you that extra 10. So if some clown decides to go 50 in the fast lane I can`t pass him? BS!!!

it should be illegal to pass on the right everywhere, it used to be, drive on right pass on left, and you could get a ticket for driving in the left lane, still that way in NJ and some other states

When I lived in the Washington DC area there was at least one parking place I knew of in downtown DC that had a parking meter at a city bus stop. A person could park there, put money in the meter & think they were legally parked, & then receive a ticket for parking at a bus stop. There were quite a few complaints about this one.

When I lived in the Washington DC area there was at least one parking place I knew of in downtown DC that had a parking meter at a city bus stop. A person could park there, put money in the meter & think they were legally parked, & then receive a ticket for parking at a bus stop. There were quite a few complaints about this one.

I would like to see the bus get a ticket for expired meter

Rant on:

UGH! Reading some of the responses here makes me even more of an advocate for requiring a written AND a road test every 3 years. Y'all do know the difference between white lines and yellow lines on the street right?!? And white vs. yellow signs isn't just a California thing. Ever wonder why stop signs are red in all 50 states? All right here in the MUTCD http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/ :banghead::banghead::banghead:

As for Idaho adopting the flashing yellow turn arrow, ABOUT DAMN TIME!!! But if you feel safer sitting in the left turn only lane with nothing coming the other way for an entire light cycle be my guest (just don't be in front of me). Flashing yellow has always meant "proceed with caution" not yield. Turning left means yield.

"Wasting Fuel/Resources" tickets are the officers way of giving you the benefit of the doubt when a Basic Rule violation does not exist. They typically do not involve points being assessed against your license. Think of them as a "hauling *** tax". Keep running your mouth and one can become a speeding ticket easy enough. Ask me how I know this.

All states issue a "Drivers Handbook" or manual free of charge (also typically available as a .pdf download). You are responsible for operating your motor vehicle according to the rules and regulations outlined in this manual while in that state. Many states require a copy to be carried in each vehicle as well.

Few things out there get me pissed-off more than bad/stupid drivers. And the older I get, the less tolerance I have for such idiocy. In fact, perhaps the only thing that gripes me more is people who drive unsafe cars (cracked windshields, headlight out, bald tires, screeching brakes, no muffler, etc...) like they have some god given right to do so.

Rant off.

Extra Credit: Why are manhole covers round?

In California, here are the rules for two solid yellow lines:

"Two solid yellow lines indicate no passing. Never drive to the left of these lines unless you are:

Turning left at an intersection.
Turning into or out of a private road or driveway.
In a carpool lane that has a designated entrance on the left.
Instructed by construction or other signs to drive on the other side of the road because your side of the road is closed or blocked."

Vermont drivers manual page 34:If there is a solid line or two solid lines,
it is recommended that you do not pass.
RECOMMENDED-not a law.

There are NO annual safety inspections in the state of Florida. Now that's a scary thought!

Well, they used to have them.
Poeple got sick and tired of waiting 45 minutes to over 2 hours in line.
Then they had the brake tester and if one brake was the tiniest bit tighter than the other, they failed you and you had to redo the entire test..after waiting in line again.
And anything could fail on your car 5 minutes after passing the test.

Cincinnati also had them. I remember them well because at the C/P dealer that I worked at, all the new cars had to go thru it. And they would fail 75% of them for headlight aim. I would have to basically aim the headlights at the ground to get it passed. If you drove the car at night, better not go over about 30mph because you were driving blind.
They eventually added in a drive-on dyno to test emissions but a few people were failed.. they had AWD Audis and fulltime 4WD Jeeps.

There was only one set of rollers.

My wife was in the service & stationed in Maryland but we were allowed to keep our cars tagged in our home state (at the time) of Kansas. I took my car in for an alignment & they made notations about body rust & the fact that the door panel on the driver's door wasn't fastened all of the way around. I got the impression these were safety violations for Maryland. This was in the mid 1990's. I remember somebody telling me that rust holes would cause a car to fail an inspection & that it didn't matter how you filled them. They said just fill them with bondo, as long as the holes were filled.

[FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In Utah, birds have the right of way on any public highway.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]Here are some funny ones that I found on the net.

In Texas, it's against the law for anyone to have a pair of pliers in his or her possession.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]In Philadelphia, you can't put pretzels in bags based on an Act of 1760.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]Alaska law says that you can't look at a moose from an airplane.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]In Corpus Christie, Texas, it is illegal to raise alligators in your home.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]In Miami, it is forbidden to imitate an animal.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]It is against the law to mispronounce the name of the State of Arkansas in that State.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]In Illinois, the law is that a car must be driven with the steering wheel

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]California law prohibits a woman from driving a car while dressed in a housecoat.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]In Memphis, Tennessee, a woman is not to drive a car unless a man warns approaching motorists or pedestrians by walking in front of the car that is being driven.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]In Tennessee, it is against the law to drive a car while sleeping.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]In New York, it is against the law for a blind person to drive an automobile.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]In West Virginia, only babies can ride in a baby carriage.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]In Georgia, it is against the law to slap a man on the back or front.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In Rochester, Michigan, the law is that anyone bathing in public must have the bathing suit inspected by a police officer

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In Kentucky, it's the law that a person must take a bath once a year.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In Ohio, one must have a license to keep a bear.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In Tennessee, a law exists which prohibits the sale of bologna (sandwich meat) on Sunday.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In Virginia, the Code of 1930 has a statute which prohibits corrupt practices or bribery by any person other than political candidates.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In Providence, Rhode Island, it is against the law to jump off a bridge.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In the State of Kansas, you're not allowed to drive a buffalo through a street.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In Florida, it is against the law to put livestock on a school bus.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In New Jersey, cabbage can't be sold on Sunday.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In North Carolina, it is against the law for dogs and cats to fight.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In Singapore, it is illegal to chew gum.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In Cleveland, Ohio, it is unlawful to leave chewing gum in public places.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In New York, it is against the law for children to pick up or collect cigarette and cigar butts.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In Massachusetts, it is against the law to put tomatos in clam chowder.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]In Washington State, you can't carry a concealed weapon that is over 6 feet in length.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]In San Francisco, there is an ordinance, which bans the picking up and throwing of used confetti.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]In Kentucky, it is illegal for a merchant to force a person into his place of business for the purpose of making a sale.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In Phoenix, Arizona, you can't walk through a hotel lobby with spurs on.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In California, a law created in 1925 makes it illegal to wiggle while dancing.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In Utah, daylight must be visible between dancing couples.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In Michigan, it is against the law for a lady to lift her skirt more than 6 inches while walking through a mud puddle.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In Georgia, it's against the law to spread a false rumor.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In West Virginia, one can't cook sauerkraut or cabbage due to the odors and the offence is subject to imprisonment.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In Missouri, a man must have a permit to shave.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]The law states that more than 3000 sheep cannot be herded down Hollywood Blvd. at any one time.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]In Texas, it is still a "hanging offense" to steal cattle.

[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial][SIZE=+1][SIZE=-2][FONT=verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

-
Back