170 slant six
Stromberg WW3 carb
Vacuum is a steady 17
Initial timing 7 degrees
Idling at 750 in neutral
No vacuum leaks I can see
Idle mixture screws adjusted properly
Accelerator pump functioning properly

I’ve tried advancing the timing, I’ve tried adjusting the idle mixture screws, I’ve disconnected the vacuum advance as a test, can’t seem to get rid of this hesitation off idle.

Any ideas? Questions?

IMG_4322.jpeg

IMG_4532.jpeg

Low speed idle enrichment screw.

If turning it in and out with no change, the the idle enrichment circuit is plugged.

Take the screw out, and go after the enrichment port with carb cleaner and compressed air > multiple times.

Then readjust again.

☆☆☆☆☆

Make sure Transfer Slots in the carburetor are not over exposed. If they are then that has to be corrected.

Low speed idle enrichment screw.

If turning it in and out with no change, the the idle enrichment circuit is plugged.

Take the screw out, and go after the enrichment port with carb cleaner and compressed air > multiple times.

Then readjust again.

☆☆☆☆☆
I’ve ensured these passages are clean, the idle air screws are working properly, vacuum drops off at around 2 turns.

If you feather the throttle just before and during the time it would hesitate does it still hesitate?

If you feather the throttle just before and during the time it would hesitate does it still hesitate?
Sometimes it still hesitates even if I feather the throttle. It’s inconsistent. There is also a hesitation at light throttle from time to time.

Make sure Transfer Slots in the carburetor are not over exposed. If they are then that has to be corrected.
Is there a way to check this without removing the carb? I don’t think I can see the slots but I’ll try again.

For what it’s worth my throttle blades are closed almost as far as they can be. My idle speed screw is only tightened a half turn.

I’ve been running it with the screws 2.5 turns out. Turning them out further doesn’t change the idle or vacuum level.

1966 Signet
170 slant six
Stromberg WW3 carb
Vacuum is a steady 17
Initial timing 7 degrees
Idling at 750 in neutral
Seems a litle high relative to factory. Lemme look in the FSM. Don't think that alone should be a cause though.

I’ve disconnected the vacuum advance as a test,
And forgive me if this sounds too basic,; Was the timing and idle set with the vacuum advance disconnected?
Sometimes it still hesitates even if I feather the throttle. It’s inconsistent. There is also a hesitation at light throttle from time to time.
That's a good clue its not the accel pump but the something more basic. Fuel level is the only one I don't think has been brought up yet.
Is there a way to check this without removing the carb? I don’t think I can see the slots but I’ll try again.
Sadly. No. And I can't even give you an approximate what to look for on the Stromberg. However I agree that knowing that the idle stop screw is only 1/2 turn does suggest that this is not the issue. Putting this together with the timing and idle speed it may be that the timing needs to be reduced and the throttle position opened. I mean a little. Let me look up the factory spec before I speculate more on this.

Seems a litle high relative to factory. Lemme look in the FSM. Don't think that alone should be a cause though.

And forgive me if this sounds too basic,; Was the timing and idle set with the vacuum advance disconnected?

That's a good clue its not the accel pump but the something more basic. Fuel level is the only one I don't think has been brought up yet.

Sadly. No. And I can't even give you an approximate what to look for on the Stromberg. However I agree that knowing that the idle stop screw is only 1/2 turn does suggest that this is not the issue. Putting this together with the timing and idle speed it may be that the timing needs to be reduced and the throttle position opened. I mean a little. Let me look up the factory spec before I speculate more on this.

I think 750 is correct idle as per FSM.

Timing and idle were set with vacuum advance disconnected.

I haven’t confirmed the float level is correct. I have to remove the carb for that, which I haven’t done yet.

I tried reducing the timing to 2.5 and opening the throttle position but the hesitation was still there off idle.

I’ve been running it with the screws 2.5 turns out. Turning them out further doesn’t change the idle or vacuum level.
OK. I think I follow you.
I'll explain why I asked and maybe you've already got this but if not then we've put it to rest.
Making it richer the idle and vacuum fall off more slowly than when turning it leaner.
Turning it in (leaner) the drop from right on the money to dying is pretty quick. So normally that's considered the best approach to adjusting the mixtures; turn in until rpm or vac just starts to drop and then turn it back an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn. Its better to go back a little more because when the engine is put in gear it needs to be a bit richer to have power to turn the transmission.

I hope that made sense.

Unfortunately I haven't worked with that carb so don't know if 2 to 2.5 is typical. I expect someone here will know

Turning it in (leaner) the drop from right on the money to dying is pretty quick. So normally that's considered the best approach to adjusting the mixtures; turn in until rpm or vac just starts to drop and then turn it back an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn. It’s better to go back a little more because when the engine is put in gear it needs to be a bit richer to have power to turn the transmission.
I turned them in until vacuum dropped and then back out a half turn, which is about 2.5 out overall.

According to the FSM its right in between your two experiments. 5* BTDC at 550 for a 49 state car.
(If its a CAP car and has the original distributor, then it should be set retarded because advance is fast and long.)
1710036514605.png

1710037007486.png

Regardless of your accelerator pump operation description, that's what I'm going with. The pump shot needs to be STRONG and LONG each time and it should start with IMMEDIATE moving of the throttle lever. No delay whatsoever. Can we get a picture of this beast?

I basically agree RRR.
But on a very very gentle acceleration the pump shouldn't do much and the problem should be noticibly less.
I'd be curious how it acted in neutral. I think what I'd do is check the spark plugs and in the cap (because they alsways have potential to reveal a good clue). Then take the aircleaner off and observe the carb and engine while manually opening the throttle. If it happens under no load, then it will certainly happen under load.

@hotrod swinger
With two idle circuits, each one contributes the same a single would have. That's a long way of saying 1/2 turn richer on each mix screw is probably double what it needs.

Regardless of your accelerator pump operation description, that's what I'm going with. The pump shot needs to be STRONG and LONG each time and it should start with IMMEDIATE moving of the throttle lever. No delay whatsoever. Can we get a picture of this beast?
I’m getting an instant strong and long shot from the accelerator pump. I removed the air horn and oiled and flared the plunger and tested the check balls, it’s all operational.

A pic of the car or the carb?

I basically agree RRR.
But on a very very gentle acceleration the pump shouldn't do much and the problem should be noticibly less.
I'd be curious how it acted in neutral. I think what I'd do is check the spark plugs and in the cap (because they alsways have potential to reveal a good clue). Then take the aircleaner off and observe the carb and engine while manually opening the throttle. If it happens under no load, then it will certainly happen under load.

@hotrod swinger
With two idle circuits, each one contributes the same a single would have. That's a long way of saying 1/2 turn richer on each mix screw is probably double what it needs.
I have taken the air cleaner off and manually operated the throttle to observe the pump shot in operation. Sometimes there is a hesitation, most times not.

I’m getting an instant strong and long shot from the accelerator pump. I removed the air horn and oiled and flared the plunger and tested the check balls, it’s all operational.

A pic of the car or the carb?
The carburetor.
I have taken the air cleaner off and manually operated the throttle to observe the pump shot in operation. Sometimes there is a hesitation, most times not.
Yeah, but you're asking for our opinion, not yours. lol Since we have no pictures and preferably a video to see anything, I'm sticking with classic problems to classic symptoms. lol

-
Back