Off to the tranny shop!

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
As some of you know,I tore my spring perches off at the start of July at Grand Bend Motor Complex while launching off the line.Well I,ve made about 10 passes since welding new perches on and last friday at Pinks here in Toronto(Cayuga)I blew a tranny seal.While pulling the tranny yesterday I notice some cracking in the bellhousing,upon removal of 2 pieces of bellhousing LOL.I must,ve had some hairline cracks in the housing while racing.Glad I didn,t get hurt!Will be swapping my internals into a spare 904 from a 73 Dart donor car I bought 1 1/2 ago.Pics of the carnage..
Racing the 66 Dart 032.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 036.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 033.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 034.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 035.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 032.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 036.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 033.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 034.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 035.jpg

Wow. What you reckon was the cause? I'd say somebody was lookin out for you, Scott. Glad you didn't get hurt.

holy $^$^&&&^$^@, I'd say you were lucky. If the cracks were there, Harry should have noticed them?

Good thing that it didn't bust up completely. That is great news that you were not hurt and that your car was damaged by flying bellhousing parts coming out from under the car. And the best thing of all is that you've got a spare 904 case you can rebuild in short order to get you back up and running. I have a spare 904 case if you need it.

holy $^$^&&&^$^@, I'd say you were lucky. If the cracks were there, Harry should have noticed them?
I never removed the tranny after the perches tore off(happened on launch)so the car only moved 10 ft when it happened.DoH!I just dropped the tranny off to him and he,s gonna check my torque convertor(and fix it if need be?)I had just replaced the starter last week and didn,t see any cracks?They must,ve been hairline cracks?They must,ve opened up doing the last 10 passes.The bolts held it together until removal.I,ll be down for a week.:wack:

Time to do some light cruising in the 73 Dart Sport 340.

Ooomay goodness petty :tongue9: That sure could have been real bad #-o
I am glad you did not mess up the splines and crank to the shifting linkage and your tail shaft if that trans came out under a launch I think you had some one looking after you to :angel5: a chain reaction of parts fling out from under the 66 dart monster could have happened or worse :shock:came in the car
You must be living right brother :happy10: I see a safety blanket in your future 8), If I remember right you do have a drive shaft safety lupe installed
sorry to see another week link in your Dart, But sooooo glad it will be back on the tailor heading to the track again soon :cheers:

Thanks MeMike and OldVart,my safety having fun racing is top priority(have to work the next day)These minor breakages aren,t as bad as blowing the engine $$$$ in my eyes.Making the car stronger will help it last a little longer.This is all part of racing and learning,when I built the car I knew it wouldn,t be perfect so a couple minor setbacks is ok to deal with.I,ll be back at it soon enough to break something else LOL.:-D

I spoke with my tranny builder today,all internals are swapped over to the donor tranny.They sent my t.convertor out to straighten the snout,guess it was a little off kilter?Anyway,should have it all back by tuesday ready for racing again.:snakeman:

Back when I was a kid I dropped the driveshaft on my car and it did the same thing. I think the driveshaft bound up and cracked the case. When you tore off the perches it might have put a hairline crack in it and after a few runs it finally gave. Just a thought. Sure glad to see it didn't grenade on you. Are you running a blanket or shield?

Well there you are Tracy,I,ve been waiting for you to chime in with your thoughts.LOL.Yes I,m thinking it cracked when I tore the perches off.I,m very lucky,cause I made about 10 passes with it cracked(unknowingly)When I was undoing the bell bolts,I noticed a couple were loose and then when I dropped the crossmember and pulled back on the tranny a junk fell out?LOL.Will let you know how I make out with the convertor early this week.:read2:

P.S No I don,t have a sheild or blanket in the car..yet.

Damn Scott, I would run BOTH the sheild and the blanket. That is some serious chitt right there WOW!

Glad you are OK.

WOW Scott.....thats nuts lol....you lucked out.

however, I think a little JB weld and some back silicone should fix her up good and get ya back on the road .... LOL LOL.

glad you and the car are alright....might be time to think about putting a scatter pan above the tranny for safe measure.

Hey Petty, you got lucky in the sense you werent hurt and you're able to swap the internals! Oh ya its also nice to have another mopar to cruise in too.....lucky sob!!

Give Red Green a call. He can fix anything with a little duct tape. LOL
You're lucky it didn't explode on the track. Good luck...Mike

Damn Scott, I would run BOTH the sheild and the blanket. That is some serious chitt right there WOW!

Glad you are OK.
If I can drop 1 sec.?Then I,ll have to get the sheild/blanket for IHRA/NHRA rules.Til then,with having the perches fixed,I,m hoping to not have this problem again.:cheers:

I would think it's more than jus the perches because of where it cracked. I was going to suggest before the new trans goes together you align the bell with the crank. You need the trans case empty for that, but it is something that I would want done if there was damage like that. If the convertor hub was a little off that would not help either so maybe that was it...

I would think it's more than jus the perches because of where it cracked. I was going to suggest before the new trans goes together you align the bell with the crank. You need the trans case empty for that, but it is something that I would want done if there was damage like that. If the convertor hub was a little off that would not help either so maybe that was it...
I,ve had nothing but problems with this tranny from the getgo,even the 360 I had bought with it had the wrong spring retainers?Regardless,the donor tranny I have has never been seperated from the 318(til I seperated).With the tranny sitting on the dowels,I think it,ll bolt up fine.It sucks having issues with mystery parts.Live and learn.:read2:

Well there you are Tracy,I,ve been waiting for you to chime in with your thoughts.LOL.Yes I,m thinking it cracked when I tore the perches off.I,m very lucky,cause I made about 10 passes with it cracked(unknowingly)When I was undoing the bell bolts,I noticed a couple were loose and then when I dropped the crossmember and pulled back on the tranny a junk fell out?LOL.Will let you know how I make out with the convertor early this week.:read2:

P.S No I don,t have a sheild or blanket in the car..yet.

Hey Scott. I read your post earlier but it was after the other guys had guessed it would be a cracked converter snout and that was what I figured it would have been. I don't think anybody would have guessed this. Sorry to see your bad luck.

Oh yeah. Even though the rules may not say you need it yet it's a good idea to run a blanket or shield. Keeping your feet attached to your body is real important.

Today I picked up my tranny(swapped internals)and got my convertor back.They cracked it open and replaced the snout and rebalanced it.I should be good to go.Now just need a cool night to install,cause when I removed it the temp was 94 outside and think I got abit of sunstroke(overheating)?Hope to be back racing next week.Thanks for suggestions and will put a blanket/shield on it before next season,just not in the budget now.

-
Back