Off Topic: How to glue to the interior of a lined fiberglass top

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
1977 Sportsman SE B200 with a permanent fiberglass camper top. The interior of the fiberglass top is "lined" (finished smooth and glossy). I would like to glue wood cleats to the inside of the top and screw the front panels of the cabinets to them in order to strengthen the way the cabinets are attached to the vehicle. What preparation of the interior of this van top do I need to perform at the spot where I want to glue the cleat, and what kind of glue should I use? Thanks very much.

Scuff the finish off carefully with a grinding disc on a drill or air grinder. Use a product called Sticky *** Glue (Amazon-4 oz size is fine.) This is a PERMANENT situation, so be sure of yourself! Since you can't clamp it, I suggest using a couple stainless wood screws from the outside and seal over them with urethane. This glue is thin going on, but it's a PE glue and will expand-that's why you need to clamp it or screw it down. Trust me-you can glue two pieces of wood together, clamp it, and 30 minutes later, the bond is actually stronger than the wood! Good luck!

-
Back