offset ground 6.1 crank....

-

5.7 hemi

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know this is the poor mans way of stroking, but hey, I got more time than money. My thought process is offset grind the crank to 2.100 big end size, get sbchebby rods in 6.125 length, and .020 over size pistons for a 5.7 and hopefully have a 392. I need the pro's/cons of doing this, so any thoughts would be welcomed.

Contact hemidup(Jerry). Here or on moparts. He has done it an know the ins and outs. I want to say that he used a 2.00 journal with a Honda rod. He knows his stuff.

1.88" Honda journals will get you a max 3.80" stroke. Not the 4.05"+ you would need for a 5.7 based 392. I might do this for a spare 6.1 block I have, which would be ~392. Prob $200-$300 to offset ground a crank.

Damn, guess I gotta save up....trying to do it on the cheap isn't gonna work.

Yeah well when you look at the price of rods, Pistons, rings, grinding and balancing the crank, bearings, and machine shop labor, and what not you can have a balanced assembly ready to assemble in your machined block for $2600.

I'm working on getting a deal together for FABO guys through one of my guys in the lx world I might be able to get you a better deal too.

Damn, guess I gotta save up....trying to do it on the cheap isn't gonna work.
>> IMHO, increasing the air flow, will get you more, in an abody. Take advantage of the GEN III's ability to rev. I've heard the oem lifters are good ot 7k+ rpm ? Torque is nice, but so is an engine that will rev freely, without complaint. 2 cents, ateam.:coffee2:

Well, I want to have a 392 for the nostalgic flair, since my b body is a 64. Plus I cant have my dads 70 rt challenger with a stroked 440 kick my ***, so more cubes are in order.

1.88" Honda journals will get you a max 3.80" stroke. Not the 4.05"+ you would need for a 5.7 based 392. I might do this for a spare 6.1 block I have, which would be ~392. Prob $200-$300 to offset ground a crank.
>> These journals work in Hondas and NASCAR-only. 4340 billet crank is nothing like the oem hemi piece. 2.1" is working, will a sbc journal make it faster or more reliable ? You might want to peep the forced induction section, for MoPowar, ateam :(

-
Back