Offset rocker arm question

-

gzig5

Reaction score
This is a "what if" kind of question. I'm sure it isn't the best way to do it but I'm curious if it could be a way. I've happened upon a set of Jessel rockers that came off a set of SBC All Pro heads that have a decent asking price. The information I can find and from the seller indicate that the intake rockers are offset 0.600" and are L/R like a W2/W5 head would use. I "think" that the W2/W5 uses a .700 offset, and maybe someone can confirm that? Anyway, I have the wild idea to make new mounting base for these rockers and apply them to an offset Mopar head for my extra 340 block that will likely be getting a 4" crank. The cost saving on the rockers would make getting into an offset W head or maybe a set of Indy 360-1 heads more viable. I don't mind futzing with it if I can be made to work, the Jessel rockers are high quality parts and I'm pretty sure I can manage to make a new mounting bar to position them appropriately on the head. Not having a W head in front of me makes it difficult to detirmine if it would work so I'm looking for input from those of you that have more experience with them. Is there room for the pushrod to be offset a little bit on these heads?

I would think that .600" is too much offset to probably use with moving the pushrod on a standard SBM head, say a set of Speedmasters or Edelbrocks, like was done on the T/A heads? Even if it would work there, not sure those ports would be worth the effort considering my lack of porting experience.

IIRC the length is wrong. Also it takes about all the offset you can get. If it’s a .700 offset (I forget if that’s exactly what it is) you probably won’t get enough clearance with a .600 offset. Unless you use an undersized pushrod.

I guess I hadn't considered the actual length requirements because I don't have access to the parts. I can maybe look into that part of it. The ratios are 1.6 intake and 1.7 exhaust but that's just relative to the geometry of the specific rocker, not linear distances. Didn't want to bother Jessel with an off the wall question like this.

Jessel All Pro rockers1.jpg

I guess I hadn't considered the actual length requirements because I don't have access to the parts. I can maybe look into that part of it. The ratios are 1.6 intake and 1.7 exhaust but that's just relative to the geometry of the specific rocker, not linear distances. Didn't want to bother Jessel with an off the wall question like this.

View attachment 1716246706

I think Jesel lists rocker lengths on their web page. I’d look there. If they are the same length and if .600 is enough offset I don’t know why they wouldn’t work.

I don't think the chevy shaft rockers use the same shaft diameter as a sbm. First thing I would research.
I think the Jesel shafts are. 625.

Mopar shaft mounted intake rocker arms are 0.775” offset and TA are 0.500”. The Jessel and T&D W2 style like you are intending to use may be different offsets.

-
Back