oh boy...head broke off torque conveter bolt

-
They broke it off, shouldn't they be the ones fixing it for you?
But then again, maybe you don't want them touching it anymore......
Tough call.

You need a new trans shop.

the trans shop didnt cross thread the bolt... lol you can see in the bolt the fracture that had surface rust inside the crack...they are being careful to not step into an issue they didnt create.. i ran a shop... i know exactly what they are thinking...covering their butts..

They broke it off, shouldn't they be the ones fixing it for you?
But then again, maybe you don't want them touching it anymore......
Tough call.

no. they didnt,you can see it was like that for sometime at least.. the shop is straight up, thats why i use them. honest as can be.. hard to find shops like this...

Oh. I thougbt you said they tried to tigbten it. If they were trying to take it out to check it, well I guess stuff happens. If it was broke already not much can be done.

EASY FIX!!!!!!!!!!!

take rest of bolt out of converter. rotate converter in trans until it is out from behind the flex plate. Place 5/16 nut over broken bolt. plug weld the nut to the theaded shaft. remove the broken bolt. the heat from the weld will loosen it up. works like a charm.

Oh. I thougbt you said they tried to tigbten it. If they were trying to take it out to check it, well I guess stuff happens. If it was broke already not much can be done.

yes ..its been par for the course with this car... i waaaayyyy overpaid for all the nice hidden broken and screwed up things i keep finding... have owned for almost 3 months and it has spent all that time being fixed...only to find more to fix.... glad i like working on cars...but it would be nice to enjoy every once in a blue moon.

EASY FIX!!!!!!!!!!!

take rest of bolt out of converter. rotate converter in trans until it is out from behind the flex plate. Place 5/16 nut over broken bolt. plug weld the nut to the theaded shaft. remove the broken bolt. the heat from the weld will loosen it up. works like a charm.

thanks for the tip!

EASY FIX!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^. My thought as well. Only done it on broken exhaust studs tho:salute:

welded nut works great. If you ever break a easyout off a concrete bit in a small hammer drill will shatter it. broken off easy out removal is easy (pun)

-
Back