Oh no! Brought home another one!

-

sobiecam

College Student
Reaction score
Well, after a nice long wait I finally brought home my new toy today!

Thanks again to Dan for everything in helping me get a hold of this car! Anyways, here she is!

562091_631550053526408_838030952_n.jpg

As she sits now, it's a /6, console auto car, manual steering, manual disk brake, 7-1/4 car that was originally B5 on black (as far as i can tell).

Plan is (short term) to get the current slant running or swap in the extra slant I have into it to get it going under it's own power until I can swap in a TBI 318 from a 1990 ram with a 833OD and 8-1/4 rear. Somewhere along the way I plan on plenty of suspension upgrades and some body work!

She needs a name though.... hmmm

Thanks guys, I'm getting started already Emilio, though the first roadbump came pretty quick, after hooking up a fresh battery I found out that the car gets no power... to anything... this was after heaving and ho-ing the car around the driveway (which by the way, is a nice sandy deal with ruts and a nice big dip in the middle of it) so I ran out of steam and called it a day lol.

I'll get on it in the morning and maybe I can have it running by tomorrow night! Just have to be careful, the brakes don't seem to work just yet.

been playing with it all day, turns out that my "no power" issue was that neither the column or cluster were hooked up, and then under the hood, my lack of cranking was a bad body ground (well, missing). So now I have the dome light working and I've cranked it with a remote starter, I did get it to fire too! Though it caught fire shortly thereafter...

Pics later! It's bath-time for her now

it didn't really backfire, I'm not sure if it was due to running an open manifold but the sure problem is the intake gasket needs replaced

well, cleaned it up and tried giving it a tune up, but the plugs from my extra engine won't fit the current one (one has tubes for plugs in the head, the one in the sport doesn't have tubes)

I guess it's back to wrenching tomorrow if I don't have any work going on!

How we started today, pretty much the same as the last pics but with the new dog dishes! (actually old, beater dishes)
v30mc8.jpg

Bath time! The Express is watching enviously!
28c1vna.jpg

30napo5.jpg

All of my extra parts
mw8rxv.jpg

Well, I figured out why the car caught fire!!!

Of course I already knew the intake/exhaust gasket was bad, but I got to see just how bad today. It turns out is was 1/3 missing, hence my little fire. After calling around all day Sunday to local parts stores I heard "you need that for what?!?" way too many times. I went to the parts store I work at today and we have two in stock 8). After I got home and pulled the manifolds and yanked the gasket and figured, well while I'm here I'll swap in this new-style (Dakota) starter i have in...

Bad Gasket:
2zfn2j9.jpg

Look at all this room!!! :cheers:
10fc4uw.jpg

More pics later when I put this bad boy back together

Stay classy FABO! :D

MORE PROGRESS!!!

Well after some wiring fun I got my Denso starter all wired up! The starter itself bolted in directly, while the wiring is mostly Dakota-sourced but with the Dart's connectors at the starter solenoid, which I also replaced.

n9elk.jpg

I hate to be excited about such a little thing but after all of the soldering and fitting with the harness but I was ecstatic when I hooked up the wiring, put on the remote starter and hit the trigger to hear the engine crank over! The Denso starter seems to work much better than the old style starter that was on it.

26246fp.jpg

I took it all back apart to add some shielding to the wires as the Denso starter moved the location of the terminals from the 2 o'clock (facing the front of the starter) position to the 10:30 position. There's plenty of room between the exhaust manifold and wires, but it's one of those "I'd rather be safe than sorry" deals

j5zaqu.jpg

Here's how the Dart gets to sleep for now lol, as you can see I pulled the hood to make working on it a tad easier!

10gw5r4.jpg

^^didn't realize that it took the pic on it's side, oh well^^

Looking Good Adam that starter hook up is going to help me.

Well, slow progress lately, I'm headed to the junkyard tomorrow to pick up a new manifold for the slant and look into a manual transmission setup.

In the mean time I've picked up some bearings and seals, prepping for a full front brake job and I've sorta-started on the interior starting with customizing my seats!

Seat Project:
ay3erq.jpg

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1969931463#post1969931463

Well guys, I've done a little work here and there on the Dart Sport, which I've nicknamed "Fireball" though I have yet to come up with a female name for it like I want :tongue1:.

After putting my intake and exhaust manifolds back on it ran, but not for long, after investigation the carb turned out to be bad. So after swapping another carb on the dart finally got to move under it's own power! Though still without brakes...

331oml1.jpg

So today I took on fixing the brakes and a trans line leak that the Dart has had for an unknown period of time...

2130lr6.jpg

Yes that is a gallon of brake fluid lol!

2iw3rpj.jpg

I have to take my rotors and drums to get turned at work tomorrow and get a reman drivers caliper after killing a bleeder screw :banghead:

I'm slowly but surely drawing up the plans for the finished product in my mind! :burnout:

In the meantime, better get some primer on the way!

-
Back