Ohhhh boy!!!!!!

-

67 Power Wagon

Hemi Pawr or BUST!
Reaction score
Guys,
WEll,
I had planned to go to my Step-Sons last week, on today...Went..... He has this neighbor that lets just say, has a small town back yard...........junk yard? Step-Son told me I'd love treking through this mess. And he.............was RIGHT!

Anyway, met the owner, told me if I wanted anything small, take it, was headed for the scrap metal scarp yard. so, upon hearing this, I pulled out a small Armature lathe.....Sure enough, the motor was shot, dun care, was a free tool that I'm going to clean up and possibly use for another purpose anyway.. (Which was the whole reason, I asked about it in the first place)

Then, me being me, asked about all the Dodge "items" sitting around weeds taller then the roof of the TRUCKS, yes that's right TRUCKS not cars.. This is where ALL of you come in.......This guy, has shitloads of 318's, then what looked to me as a 340 sitting right out in the open! Granted, I alone seen what looked to be 3 or 4 Ford 429 to 460 blocks, 2 of them looked rebuilt, as the paint was in pretty damn good shape for being a 4 lettered F-word to me! I knew what they were just from the shear size of these 2 blocks..... Plus the goofy looking Ford Big Block 429/460 valve covers was a dead give-away!

Then the owner said that their were 2 slant 6 motors, one in a Dodge Van the other just a motor, that was going to go into a truck! I need to know how to tell the difference in the field, and covered in ****, and even so, in a vehicle yet..... the "loose" one looked to be a 225, the other looked to be MAYBE a 170....I don't know.....

ANY parts you need, off ANY of these motors, light, shippable parts, I'll see if I can get them for good prices as these I was told by the owner that they, all ran into where they currently SIT! Including a 79 Ford tow truck, with one of the 460's in it.....

THEN a what I think may have been a 68 or 69 Ford Pick up as well, I didn't notice much when I seen this one as it was pretty dark by this time....

But anyway, I can get just about any parts in decent locations easily, BUT will require work to get them out. Manifolds, headers, (318 HEADERS might I add here) Um....Valve covers, hell possible "Heads" too! I want to get some of the left over valve covers for a small lengthy project of my own so.. But anything, I need to figure out what this guy all has.....

Seriously, the possible 340 he's got, FREE if I can get up on a truck bed! Last time, it ran in a Dart I think he said.....BUT how do I tell for sure? Where would I find the block numbers on this if say it was a 318 to a 360? As wasn't these pretty close "looking" blocks? I know the valve covers have the valve centrally located, and the breather cap centrally located in them, which is one of the reasons I think its a possible 340.....The exhaust manifolds on this motor look pretty good too! Sadly, NO Big Block Mopars to be found, anywhere..........That's OK the few things I did find well...... its a good start!

Sorry tho, I didn't grab my camera fast enough, I got no such pictures, BUT I'm 100% sure ALL spoken here will be there, when I go back, possibly this coming weekend!

All I do know is........ A LOT of fun to be had!

The block's casting numbers should also note the CID of the engine.

The block's casting numbers should also note the CID of the engine.

Yeah, sure, but in the same front corner of the block like a big block Mopar???? I have never gotten to the point to need to look up casting numbers, or to know where to even look..... the history this guy has in his yard, litter this is at his HOME, is astounding....

I just want to go with a bit of off the top of my head knowledge to know a bit more what I'm looking at, and what is the easiest way to tell what is what....

Yeah, sure, but in the same front corner of the block like a big block Mopar????

Look on the left side of the engine just under the head on the front of the block itself. You should see a series of numbers stamped (not cast) into the block.

It will show 340 somewhere in the stamping if it's a 340.

You may need to scrape away some paint/grease etc to see it.

I thought so. but didn't get a chance to look that closely............yet. as I said, there was A LOT to take in, this guy, just to give you all an idea had I bet 18 Dodge POWER WAGONs from the 70's, and to boot 2 may be 3 ofthem THE SAME truck just 3 versions, one with a step side bed (short) onewith no bed, and then another with a straight bed.......I mean really, there is a LOT to take in, and that doesn't end there, I bet there was 10 old F-Word trucks there too, a couple old Volvo's, and a VW BUS! I mean there is all sorts of things, and this guy.. its all personal stuff! Its not a junk yard!

He even has a couple old Fire Trucks, and 2 18 wheeler trailers fulla ****!Chrome, emblems, you name it. and not just for cars! Not just auto's, but tools, I bet there was 6 HUGE metal lathes sittin right out in the weather.....! Bull dozers? What ya want? sprockets, track sections, DIESEL engines? Hell Generators I counted about 6, possibly more I really didn't have the time to really "dig in" BUT when I seen the Mopar stuff, yeah I was elbow deep! LOL

Got that message late Kuda LOL But that's OK for now. Went again to the "yard" and found a few what look to be 318's that have what I know as 340 valve covers? on them. I didn't get no numbers the damned camera went dead on me while I was there and the Wife never told me she never bought any.... but anyway....

I had a look at the known 318's and the one had headers on it, BUT, the headers aren't worth a ****, they are rotted out on the bottom of the first and second elbow! Pretty rusty too I might add, BUT were chrome at one time!

Then, I found about 3 maybe 4, 318's to I think 360, exhaust manifolds! Rusty, a bit, but look usable!

ALL these had heads on them! Running? Not sure, but will have a closer look!

There are 2 slant 6's one I think is a 225, and the other maybe a 170, if not a 198. NOT sure.

MOST of the Mopar engines, have valve covers. On the spares I plan to hold onto a few myself for some other projects, that I have up and coming.

all but 3 of these motors, ALSO are still attached/bolted to their transmissions! NOT sure what that might all consist of! BUT I'll be going back! Next time, I go, I'm stopping for batteries, and will have some block numbers! ALSO pics of the parts....

Possibly Air Cleaners too! MAYBE even carbs. as well! I have to go in and have a bit more tools then I normally carry as this truly like a "You-Pull-It" situation!

Question on body parts, any in need od Emblems for trucks? OR Vans? Dodge that is!? I may be able to get some!

THEN the Ford stuff, anyone here got a 429/460 type Ford motor? I KNOW the 2 I seen last weekend, Run now! Good parts, and look to be pretty clean motors too, but have sat out in the open under a hood!

The hardest part, is sorting through all the ****..........There's A LOT of it!!!!!

If its a 198 or 225 look at thehose going from the water pump to the head, there should be about an inch of hose showing between the clamps. A 170 the clamps will almost be touching.

Matt,
I'm not on the same page with you here...... You got pictures of such? I'm more a V-8 kinda Guy... BUT I wouldn't mind doing some work to an old Slant tho.....

I need a 150 custom emblem off the drivers side fender on a 78 4x4 dodge truck.

Thanks for that I'll have a look!!!! I may learn something new!

I need a 150 custom emblem off the drivers side fender on a 78 4x4 dodge truck.

I'll see what I can find, I can't promise anything tho, as I'm not sure what all this guy has!

:worthles:

Yeah Kuda I know! I had the right intent, but the damn equipment failed. ERRRR LOL My next go 'round will be a BUNCH different!!!!!

-
Back