oil capacity question

-

71Scamper

Mopar runs thru my veins!
Reaction score
I'm so close to starting my 340 for the first time. This is an exciting time and a nerve racking experience at the same time, especially if you have OCD like me. I have a Milodon 30935, 8 quart oil pan, as well as, a 90* filter adapter, and running a Wix 51515 filter. I used my trusty ol' pressurized oil pre-luber to run 8 quarts through the engine @ 60 psi while turning it to fill all the passages and rockers. I let out a sigh of relief when I saw I had really good oil flow coming from both rocker shafts. Then when I checked the oil level it shows I'm down 1.5 quarts. Does this sound right? I don't want to just add the difference before I get some advise, this royal purple stuff is expensive lol. Thanks

Wait till it drains back into the pan and see if it reads full.

8 quart pan plus with the filter, do as RRR says and there won't be any question.
I'd be comfortable waiting for 5 min. and checking it.

if u put in 8 quarts u are all set. do not add any more oil. is dipstick tube in all the way? is it a chrome china dipstick? after break in change oil and filter and add 8 quarts, run it, shut it off, wait 5 minutes, remark stick if needed

I see no point in filling the pan to capacity. I would put in 6(maybe 7) quarts and reap the benefits of less windage, less aeration and more horsepower.

Wait till it drains back into the pan and see if it reads full.

I checked it again a half an hour later. Still down a quart and a half.

I see your from Ma. who built the motor??...
I built my motor. Wouldn't have it any other way. For the machining stuff I used a guy name Peter in Melrose. He's awesome and knows his ****. Very reasonable in price.

8qt pan and a new filter on a fresh build. Your going to come up short with just 8qts.
I figured a half a quart or even a full quart, but a quart and a half seems excessive. I do have a Chinese chrome dipstick but i compared it to my factory original and they match perfectly.

Think I would remark the stick - 8 qts is in there somewhere... Should be plenty I would think... 1/2 quart in the filter and the rest in the pan should be a ok

-
Back