oil consumpotion

-

Buschi340

Reaction score
Hi engine gurus...
2 weeks ago I had an overheating problem on the Autobahn cause the radiator hose broke... The engine ran hot ( 220-230°F )for a few seconds.
Yesterday I drove back from a mopar meet and after 200 miles I lost abot 15 psi oil pressure (normally 55psi at all rpms). As I checked the oil level I saw nothin on the dipstick. I filled about one quart and had constant 55psi. Next 200 miles same story.
Engine (340) is rebuild 1,5 years and 2500miles ago. Never raced... (exept a lil Autobahn).
I didnt checked anything so far but what do you think? I have no noises, no performance loss, no smoke at the exhaust (as I can saw so far in the rear mirror) and no wet block...
What would check first? Valve stem seals....?

Michael

Change oil. The oil may have suffered a bit of heat breakdown.
What weight oil?

Water temperature of 220-230 isn't really overheating. If your car has a idiot light they don't even come on until 230ish.

Changing the oil is never a bad thing but I would be looking for a leak if you are loosing oil in 200 miles and there is no smoke out the back.

rumblefish360 said:
Change oil. The oil may have suffered a bit of heat breakdown.
What weight oil?

10W40 Diesel.

Idiot light hasn't come up.

I asked some friends who saw me driving on the meeting. They also saw no smoke at the exhaust.

Yes, I'll change the oil first and look for leaks. Hm, the dipstick came out of the pipe 2". Maybe a symptome for something or does it happens sometimes...?

Get the car up so you can inspect under it and see if you have any oil on the floorboards back.

that way you can tell if it was leaking while you were driving it as it will blow all over the under carrage

I know that for a fact.

and hope its nothing to seris.

think abodybill is right sometimes engines leak without me or you noticin it..

is your PCV conected right? my engine was leaking and had exesive blowby when my Pcv wasn connected properly and the blowby actualy pushed my dipstick out a bit but it also made a mess of everyting becasue of the oilleaks..

So now that you changed the oil, how did it smell? Like gas?

If your still blownin smoke, check the valve seals.
True, I also feel you didn't overheat, but a high temp for a little bit can brake down oil. Some brands do better than others, but......

After overheating, then losing some oil and oil pressure, then seeing the dipstick coming out of the pipe, it sure sounds like you cooked your piston rings. The only thing that can push the dipstick out is BLOWBY. Blowby comes from bad rings. Bad rings come from overheating. Run a compression check on the motor, if you're lucky it might just be a head gasket. if its a head gasket, look for warped head and block surfaces too.

dusterdon said:
The only thing that can push the dipstick out is BLOWBY. Blowby comes from bad rings.
That's kinda what I was thinking. I had a Ford 351 Windsor one time that pumped oil out the dipstick tube. It would 'consume' a quart in less than 200 miles... and it never did smoke.

Buschi340 said:
oh yeah, I routed the pcv hose to nowhere and plugged the carb...
Do you at least have breathers on both valve covers? You might try hooking the PCV system back up and see if it relieves some of the crankcase pressure.

the rings can get damaged by heat, but 230* wont do it. You defiantely need to connect the PCv system. Why is it not functional? Your engine MUST have some sort of evacuation route for crankcase gasses. If nothing more than breathers, something has to be there. otherwise, expect oil leaks very quickly as the gaskets get pushed out of position. I would run the PCV, racier engines will run breathers and a header evac system, while the better racing engines run full vaccum pump systems. Lack of a pcv could also cause the rings to seal poorly, even if things were not overheated..

If I dont connect the pcv to the carb the crankcase evaporate in the enviroment. Or is the vacuum in the manifold that much necessary?

so, today I changed the oil. It doesn't smells like fuel or exhaust gas and looked normal. (same for the coolant water in the radiator)
But my friends must be blind or the engine doesn't smoke under load. The exhaust gas I saw today in my garage was light gray with a touch of blue.
And exhaust gas came thru the oil filler hole (not that much but noticeable, passenger side) but not thru the pvc valve (filler hole closed) and thru the
breather (driver side, much more). On my way back home I monitored the (mech.) oil pressure gauge and noticed
that the pressure is at normal 55psi (all rpms) and when I accelerate it goes a lil up and when I slow down it goes down (40psi).
As that happend last weekend and the pressure dropped to 30psi I noticed the lost of oil, filled up and it was ok for a while since it happend again (200mls later).
This symptome occured first time last year during the first 500miles than never again (55psi all the time) and now 3000miles later right after that broken radiator hose.
Maybe it was a pure chance that both happend the same time. Maybe not...
Ok, next step is pressure testing. To see if the rings are down I put a bit oil in the cylinder and check a second time. If there is no difference the rings are ok. Right? How do I check the valve stem seals (umbrella type) and head gasket without disassemble the hole engine?

-
Back