oil down

-

gonefishinmdj

Reaction score
I have oil coming out the dipstick and oil breather at higher rpms. I changed the oil pump and the valve covers didnt have any baffles so i changed them also. I made another pass today. Same thing oil all over to much to make second pass. I noticed that there was no windage tray. Would that cause this problem?The car is running awesome. If I could just figure out what was going on. Thanks

How old is the engine? Does it have much blow by? You don't have it overfull of oil do you? No, a missing windage tray won't cause that. Numerous engines are built without a windage tray and they don't spew oil.

Sounds like excessive crankcase pressure. Make sure your PCV valve is connected - and operating properly. Is this a stock or close to it, motor?

500 Hp small block is a pretty high strung build if it's still stock stroke. You may need to run some auxillary vacuum on the crank case?

you mit whant to put sum taller valve cover brethers on it we had a stock car motor do the same thing put the tall brethers on and solved the problem..usually around 7000 if your running stock brethers..that presher has to go sumwere...Artie

and is the breather unclogged on the opposite valve cover ??? :?:
Iam not running a breather on the opposite side. Should i ? I checked today and it is throwing oil out the dip stick tube? I havent done a compression check yet. I will purchase a tester on payday.

A second breather never hurts if you have the spot for it (not to replace the PCV though). Also you can go to a larger PCV valve and line? If you are putting out 500 hp with a small block you must have a pretty wild cam and a speciality build on that motor? You may find that even two breathers is not enough and need to go to auxillary vacuum like the header evacuation type system. The leak down will tell a lot.

A second breather never hurts if you have the spot for it (not to replace the PCV though). Also you can go to a larger PCV valve and line? If you are putting out 500 hp with a small block you must have a pretty wild cam and a speciality build on that motor? You may find that even two breathers is not enough and need to go to auxillary vacuum like the header evacuation type system. The leak down will tell a lot.

How do i do a leak down?

A leak down is a test of ring and valve sealing ability in the engine. It's a set of two gagtes, one shows the pressure in, one shows the pressure being retained in the cylinder. The percentage difference between the two is your leak down percentage. Smaller loss is best.

-
Back