Oil Dummy Light on

-

ninoshrv

Reaction score
Hi mopar familiy,

My oil light in my 72 duster came on yesterday after I had the timing adjusted on the car. I was driving on the highway at around 80mph when the light just came on and stayed. I waited until this morning to start the car up cold to see if the pressure was fine. The pressure is completely fine, idling at 65 - 70 psi cold and at the appropriate levels when driving (10 psi per 1000 rpm). I unplugged the wire to the sending unit and the light went off. So, I'm guessing the sending unit needs to be replaced. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it were a problem with the oil pump, the light would still be on even with the wire unplugged?? Thanks for your assistance.

MOPAR or NO CAR

im not sure but my dads 66 dart did that he did what u did and just drove it he said its getting oil or it would blow up ............drove it 5 years that way hope it helped a bit

Get a new sender and make sure you have enough oil.

Also make sure you don't have a big dent in your pan.

(Although unlikely) depending on what you have going on..... Could you be sucking the pan dry at 80mph?

If you are pulling 65-70 at a cold idle my guess is that it's something minor like the sender.

Get a new sender and make sure you have enough oil.

Also make sure you don't have a big dent in your pan.

(Although unlikely) depending on what you have going on..... Could you be sucking the pan dry at 80mph?

If you are pulling 65-70 at a cold idle my guess is that it's something minor like the sender.

Oil level is good and the pan shouldn't be sucking dry at 80 mph. Checked the oil pan this morning and I have no dents. I'll replace the sending unit in the next couple of days and update. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

Check to see if the wire going to the sending unit is good and not grounding on something.

Make sure the wire is ok that goes to the sender. . If the bare wire end is laying somewhere that will complete a ground the light will be lit.

cool...going to check the wire for the sender later...that seems like it might be a good culprit to troubleshoot

well guys...i changed the oil pressure sender unit today and the light when off...problem solved

-
Back