Oil Filter Adapter is Leaking.......FOOOOOOK

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
We'll was out trying to tune the motor today and noticed a nice little pool of oil under the car. Found that it was dripping from the right angle oil filter adapter plate. It is a mother Focking ***** to access this thing at this point. I have to remove the pass header, torsion bar, disconnect tie rod from the center link, raise the motor about 2 inches. FOOOOOK ME. I guess I asked for it with the tti headers.

I had two new gaskets and 0-ring for the filter adapter plate. Why is this bastard leaking. I torqued it down pretty good when I installed and made sure the inner gasket was on.

HOW do I fix this leak so never have to do this again with using a remote filter? I've heard not to use any sealer on these gaskets.

BTW my idle oil pressure is somewhere around 70-75. It is a high volume/pressure oil pump if I remember right.

Thanks. Off to do some more knuckle busting.

Can you use the short filter and scrap the right angle adapter? Those hi-vol pumps always caused me grief with leaks.

I also had a 440 with a high volume/hight press. pump and it kept shooting the oil filter off when I put the pedal to the floor now I only use high volume and never use high press.

it's impossible to use the short filter with these headers.

Have checked to see if it has come loose? Mine did after only a few seconds of running. I chopped and bent a wrench to fit around my headers, but mine are Hooker Supercomps.

Only thing I can think of Dave is if you put the cork gasket on the inside and the hard washer on the outside of the bolt.

it's impossible to use the short filter with these headers.

That`s a bummer! If it was a big block , I`d say swap out the oil pump with a standard volume/pressure oil pump and see if that doesn`t fix the leak. Since it`s a small block then you have to deal with that angled adapter. I guess once apart it`s just a matter of making sure all the surfaces are clean, flat, and sealed with silicone when you get it back together. You can also use a high flow filter which may actually reduce the pressure at the filter some. Ah, the debugging of a new build.

make sure it's not the filter (seam at the top) i had one do that and it drove me crazy. and like johnny said a three piece gasket set, a cork(inside), a fiber
(outside) and the big base gasket...if the cork is missing from the inside, you can tighten the bolt all day but it will still leak....good luck

I had the same problem on mine. I went to NAPA and bought some of that gasket out of a can. It's called the right stuff and is in a "easy cheese" style can. I put a thick *** bead around the edge and around the bolt. Never had a leak after that.

Nice tip thanks. I'll look for it. Could be used on my intake manifold too if it ends up leaking.

I'm sure you are - be very certain it is not the filter to adapter leaking as with 75lbs at idle you will have to get the filter real tight the first time as tightening more afterwards doesn't seem to work the same.

-
Back