Oil filter adapter question

-

74desertduster

Reaction score
So the 360 I'm building doesn't have an oil filter adapter on it...just a female threaded hole where the filter would screw on.

Is there a straight oil filter adapter that I am missing?

Thanks!

looks you your missing a plate with holes in it and the the threaded fitting that looks like a short pipe with a hex in the inside and dont forget the gasket.

Any idea who stocks this part and what it is called? When I look for an oil filter adapter all I find are the 90 degree pieces.

Best bet is to go to your local junk yard.... hopefully an engine will already be out of a vehicle, and you can just pick it off there....

Um, ok....I found one at the junkyard. How does it come off? Spanner wrench across the holes?

The center piece screws out and that holds the plate on. Some come out with a socket and some you use a rachet extension on the inside of the center piece.

Yes, remove the threaded fitting and might have to encourage it off w/ a little careful prying. Pretty sure there's a gasket there holding it. Hope this helps.

mine uses the socket extension like others say. And remember the gasket or you will have a mess, trust me :(

If you can find the one with the flats on the outer edge, they are less restrictive, as the center orifice is bigger. They are usually found on truck applications. Might be worth a little time on your back in the filth, it's good for building character!
The plate can have anywhere from 4 holes to 8, if you have the 4 holer, punch and drill a few more. 6 is good, eight is better. Aids flow and drainback to the filter.
Don't forget, there is a gasket under the plate between it and the recess in the block.
Forget it, and leakage is guaranteed. Finding a parts store guy who can find it in the catalog, that's the challenge.
Cheap tricks are the best...
Alan627b

The one junkyard in town that has a time machine full of cars also has a pile of Mopar engines already out so I can search through those......thanks!

I'm sure a dealer can get you one...just FYI, I ordered one like my 99 Dakota has, and was surprised to find the plate wouldn't fit. They must have changed things a while back.
If you order one for an older model vehicle, I'm sure you'll be just fine.
Hope this helps,
Alan

-
Back