Oil filter adapter

-

Crazy kris

Reaction score
I have a 318 and want to put an oil filter adapter on it. There is a cone shaped plate where the oil filter screws in on the engine now. Do I need to remove that plate before I put the 90 degree adapter on?

Yes. Need to remove that stamped steel plate, and the threaded hold down in the center that holds the plate on. Make sure you have all the gaskets in the right place when you put the oil filter adapter on.

That piece that the filter screws onto has a short hex. There have been threads about a very hard time getting it out. Good fitting 6 point socket is what I would suggest. Good luck

Yes. Need to remove that stamped steel plate, and the threaded hold down in the center that holds the plate on. Make sure you have all the gaskets in the right place when you put the oil filter adapter on.
Thank you. That's a big help!

That piece that the filter screws onto has a short hex. There have been threads about a very hard time getting it out. Good fitting 6 point socket is what I would suggest. Good luck

There are 2 version of that piece
The one mentioned above flows best, but there is also one with a square bore, rather then round
It doesn't flow as well, but can be installed and removed by inserting a 1/4 inch extension into it

Just curious, why do you want to go with the 90 degree?
Most people would think the plate you have now is less restrictive, and less likely to leak...and less messy to change filters on

There are 2 version of that piece
The one mentioned above flows best, but there is also one with a square bore, rather then round
It doesn't flow as well, but can be installed and removed by inserting a 1/4 inch extension into it

Just curious, why do you want to go with the 90 degree?
Most people would think the plate you have now is less restrictive, and less likely to leak...and less messy to change filters on
I have hedders and think a full sized filter will not fit coming straight off the block. I think a full sized filter would be better than a short one.

fair enough

they make a 3.5 inch tall filter that will work with headers

will it work as well as a 5 inch tall filter?

dont know, but if you buy a good quality 3.5 filter, it may

fair enough

they make a 3.5 inch tall filter that will work with headers

will it work as well as a 5 inch tall filter?

dont know, but if you buy a good quality 3.5 filter, it may

I was able to get the long filter on by raising the motor on that side and then setting it back down after but it touched the torsion bar so I just went with the short filter to stay away from all the possible leak points of an adapter.
Yes it was a trade off, but I felt it was worth it.

I was able to get the long filter on by raising the motor on that side and then setting it back down after but it touched the torsion bar so I just went with the short filter to stay away from all the possible leak points of an adapter.
Yes it was a trade off, but I felt it was worth it.

totally agree
i actually ran the short ones for a while, but i developed a leak, completely misdiagnosed it and ended up installing a 90 degree adapter to fix a leak that wasnt there
so, since it is on there, i will run the adapter, but i was fine running the shorties
sides, i would rather run a short WIX filter then a tall fram any day of the week

totally agree
i actually ran the short ones for a while, but i developed a leak, completely misdiagnosed it and ended up installing a 90 degree adapter to fix a leak that wasnt there
so, since it is on there, i will run the adapter, but i was fine running the shorties
sides, i would rather run a short WIX filter then a tall fram any day of the week

Yup, I run the black Napa Gold Mopar filters since they are Wix manufactured.

How close is too close for the filter and header. Debating putting my adapter back on my new motor...

-
Back