Oil filter issue!

-

pyrojim

Reaction score
did I forget something?? 318, out of a 78 aspen. Put a rack and pinion in my 66 dart. Was going to put dougs headers in but didn't like the fit. So, went back to stock exhaust. I had a 90 degree filter adapter in and it had a small leak. Took it off since I went back to stock exhaust. The car was running last year, I'm sure I was running a Mobil 1 m1-204 filter. Put one on, the oil is literally spewing out! I'm pretty sure all I took out was the pipe nipple for the filter to accept the bolt on the 90. Did I forget something?? Is the M1-204 the right filter for a 78 318? I'm losing it, I swear! Any help is appreciated!

did you put the flat plate and gaskets under the oil filter stud

image.png
This was never taken out.

let me get this straight
car came with a plate

you installed a 90 degree over top of the plate

then removed the 90 degree and installed the nipple again ?

if that is the case, my money would be on a overtightened plate
(when you installed the 90 degree it overtightened the plate, causing it to leak)

pull the plate of
check to make sure it is true, and that the center does NOT touch before the outside
it may need a few taps with a hammer on a socket in the center

let me get this straight
car came with a plate

you installed a 90 degree over top of the plate

then removed the 90 degree and installed the nipple again ?

if that is the case, my money would be on a overtightened plate
(when you installed the 90 degree it overtightened the plate, causing it to leak)

pull the plate of
check to make sure it is true, and that the center does NOT touch before the outside
it may need a few taps with a hammer on a socket in the center

OR, he's putting it on backwards AND without gaskets. :D
Hope not, but ya never know.

OR, he's putting it on backwards AND without gaskets. :D
Hope not, but ya never know.
the way I read it, he never pulled the plate of, never broke the seal between the plate and the block
so it being backwards is not very likely

sure does BUT I don't think that is the OPs actual engine, I think that was the first pic he found
(and I googled "318 LA oil filter plate" and that was the very first picture that popped up...original post is here 318 oil filter base leaking!!! i can't seal it up! )

so...maybe we need to wait for the OP to chime in
but I think we've figured this one out

sure does BUT I don't think that is the OPs actual engine, I think that was the first pic he found
(and I googled "318 LA oil filter plate" and that was the very first picture that popped up...original post is here 318 oil filter base leaking!!! i can't seal it up! )

so...maybe we need to wait for the OP to chime in
but I think we've figured this one out

OH, ok.
That would explain it, duh. :D
Tanks mon.

Yes, I never pulled the base plate when I put the 90 on. Not sure I was supposed to. I think from taking the filter fitting off, installing the 90, then taking it back off and putting the filter fitting back on, the gasket must have broken it's seal? Fortunately, I had gasket in the parts box. It was a one piece that looks like a steering wheel. Not as shown in the manual, but identical to what came off. So, cleaned the plate and the block real good, put a real thin coat of permatex on all mating surfaces and reassembled it. Find out tomorrow if it's good! Thanks to all for the insight, hope your Independence Day was awesome!!

elementary, my dear Watson

Jim, did you check to make sure the plate seated as I mentioned?
no wobble side to side, and the outer edge touching before the center?

Of course not! I should have read through the post before I installed it. I did a dry fit and there was no wobble, sat good so I assume the center did not make contact before the sides! I need to pay more attention. I apologize for the late response, spent most of the day monkeying around. I'll report back tomorrow, im thinking it's good. Want to give the permatex 24 to set!! Thanks again!
Jim

no problem man, I have definitely been there

let us know how it works out for you

The two small gaskets that go around the bolt have a specific place. If you install them opposite of where they go, it will leak also. I cannot remember which one goes where though.

So, after removing, thoroughly cleaning, prepping and installing with new gasket, with a light tacky coat of permatex, sum ***** is still leaking!!
Bought a canton plate, going to install it tonight.
Ugh, Sigh!!!

So, installed the Canton base plate, dry as a bone. It's a nicely made piece!

Glad to hear it. I'm kinda going through the same thing right now. Had to take my 90* adapter off to get my headers on. No gasket under the bolt or the adapter but never leaked (don't ask me how). Put it back on that way and it pisses everywhere. Although I did angle it slightly different. So I have to wait for the gasket kit to come in. Always something stupid that holds you up.

Glad to hear it. I'm kinda going through the same thing right now. Had to take my 90* adapter off to get my headers on. No gasket under the bolt or the adapter but never leaked (don't ask me how). Put it back on that way and it pisses everywhere. Although I did angle it slightly different. So I have to wait for the gasket kit to come in. Always something stupid that holds you up.
Look at it closely, when I peeled mine off, it was like a neoprene gasket and it was shaped like a steering wheel. center gasket and outer gasket were hooked together by three spokes. couldn't hardly tell it was there. Make sure it isn't still stuck on there when you put it back together.

-
Back