Oil Filter Securement

-

1975abody

Reaction score
D24F99DD-489B-450A-B187-48D782A6D3A2.jpeg
Many years ago, I had an oil filter spin off of the freshly rebuilt motor of my motorcycle, which lead to a re-rebuild. Ever since then, all of my vehicles get the oil filter secured. My Duster and the wife's 300 are easy enough. A hose clamp in the right place without needing safety wire makes it convenient.

only way it fell off was it was not properly installed

Last edited:
I had a service bulletin on an airplane that I built. All because someone that built an airplane like mine, didn't tighten the nut on a fuel pickup in a fuel tank, his airplane ran out of fuel on that tank about at half tank. He flew it that way until one day he ran his good tank dry and then switched back to the half full tank, he crashed. So now because of his error, they want everyone one with the same plane of type, to pull your fuel tanks '2', and drill and safety wire those nuts. Not me, the hell with that, he flew with a known problem, and paid for it.
I have never had a properly tightened oil filter come loose, and at one time in my 72 yrs, I did that for a living. I worry more about getting it off than on. That is why I now use Dow Corning silicone on my oil filter gasket instead of oil.
I know, on airplanes, they torque and safety wire the oil filter. You can't pull over to the side of the road in an airplane.
Sorry for the rant.

I know, on airplanes, they torque and safety wire the oil filter. You can't pull over to the side of the road in an airplane.
Sorry for the rant.

Exactly..I have many 100's of thousands of miles on motorcycles, on and off the track. A bike doesn't leave the pits without critical parts properly torqued, and safety wired.
As I racked up more miles on bikes, I began treating them as you would an airplane. Those habits carried over to my cars.

It was installed properly, just not tight enough for a vibrating harley.
If it was installed properly it would have been tightened to spec. It was not tightened to spec so it wasn’t installed properly. I’ve had cars, trucks, tractors and bikes for over 55 years and never had an oil filter come off.

Seems to me, if an engine vibrates enough to loosen a properly installed oil filter, something else isn't right

You all can blah blah this and blah blah that about "properly installed" bullshit all you want, but there's not a damn thing wrong with securing something if that's what someone wants to do on THEIR CAR.

The hose clamp on the oil filter is an old trick in the world of Moto Guzzi motorcycles. In over 30 years I have never had a filter come off and I have never used a hose clamp. YMMV.
BTW, did I say the filter is inside the engine? Fourteen (or is it 17) bolts to remove the sump and the filter is attached to the sump...upside down. But it can't drain because it is immersed in the oil.
If it works for you, do it.

Since the old VeeDub hair dryers had such a marvelous cooling system and oil filter system all the VW desert racers I knew of had remote mount oil coolers and filters. Friend lit up his Baja one day with no filter on the filter mount :BangHead:. There may have been Badweiser involved :lol:. Didn't hurt the Bug, but it made an awful mess :rofl:

THIS:
You all can blah blah this and blah blah that about "properly installed" bullshit all you want, but there's not a damn thing wrong with securing something if that's what someone wants to do on THEIR CAR.

Try to share a simple,cheap idea and all people want to do is critique. Do as you see fit with your car ad I'll do as I see fit with mine.

THIS:

Try to share a simple,cheap idea and all people want to do is critique. Do as you see fit with your car ad I'll do as I see fit with mine.
Correct! I try never to piss in someone's corn flakes. I like sharing ideas.

I remember when the internet was gaining popularity, and everyone was talking about how it would change the world, by enabling people to share ideas.

It certainly did change the world...
Well, please don't let a select few keep you from sharing yours.

On an airplane, and even a motorcycle with a big twin engine, I can absolutely see how that would be necessary or advantageous from a safety perspective. On an A-body, I would file it under massive overkill. All about application.

Nice clean solution though.

I guess it would be just as easy to buy a filter with the safety wire hole already in place.

Screenshot (95).png

On an airplane, and even a motorcycle with a big twin engine, I can absolutely see how that would be necessary or advantageous from a safety perspective. On an A-body, I would file it under massive overkill. All about application.

Nice clean solution though.
Not all v twin m/c engines are paint shakers. Just those goofy ones with the goofy firing order.

-
Back