oil filters

-

Ricksdust

70 Duster
Reaction score
I was in walmart and found that they sold mopar oil filters. Does anyone know the number that fits the slant six? thanks

#5281090 will work, it'll be a little shorter than the earlier ones but they used this # on the later slant six trucks. The original part # filters are discontinued.

Do you know if you're oil filter mount has the tall tube sticking up from the center? I believe it was, typically, an earlier version but my '74 had it and the standard oil filter would not work. I had to purchase a WIX 51515.

It might be interesting to do some research and see who actually makes them under the Mopar label. Quality varies quite a bit between filter manufacturers and they can change as companies shop around to save a few cents here and there.

Wix actually makes the filters for Mopar, but then Wix kinda contracts that out to American Showa in Blanchester Ohio. A friend of mine works there, he said "officially" they make steering gears for Honda,Mazda and Toyota. He said they've been cranking out oil filters for Wix, Napa, Mopar, A/C Delco and a ton of no label stuff for a couple of years now. Say's they've been producing all types of parts for different makes and manufactures for some time now.

Mopar also contracts Purolator to make the aftermarket filters. It can vary between Wix and Purolator from what I've read on Bobistheoilguy.com.

Do you know if you're oil filter mount has the tall tube sticking up from the center? I believe it was, typically, an earlier version but my '74 had it and the standard oil filter would not work. I had to purchase a WIX 51515.

The tube sticking up is the standpipe. If your /6 has one, use the WIX 51515 or the short WIX 51608 if it fits. My research shows a tall and short standpipe. If it doesn't have a standpipe and you want instant oil pressure, then use the WIX 51806 with the built in standpipe. Note the two WIX numbers are close. One day after I changed the oil I started the /6 and got a knock and rattle and the oil idiot light took several seconds to go out. I realized I asked for the WIX 51608 the short version of the 51515. I can go out with the truck sitting for several days and I starts up with with instant oil pressure using the standpipe WIX 51806.

-
Back