oil leak additive?

-

dusterdood

The Duster Guy
Reaction score
Anyone have any luck with a particular brand?
I have a fresh engine, so seal swelling stuff might not help. I took apart a fresh engine (500 miles) just to freshen it with new bearings. I reused the oil pan gasket, because it was one of those blue silicon ones with metal bolt hole reinforcements. I noticed one of the metal reinforcements was missing, and added a little red RTV there. When I noticed the leak was from this bolt, I retightened it. Bad move. Now it really leaks, 'cause I pushed the gasket out more. I really don't want to pull it out to do the oil pan gasket. So here I am thinking about the type of stuff that stops real main seal leaks.

do not use that crap at all........so you have a rear main seal leaking or oil pan gasket leaking....either way pull pan.....

Almost definately, but if anyone has stopped a pan or seal leak with an additive that doesn't swell the old gasket, I'd like to try it first.

By the way, the headers are off, and I drained the oil. The oil pan is, coming down as much as possible to try to get some RTV in there. Hope it works, or the engine is coming back out.

By the way, the headers are off, and I drained the oil. The oil pan is, coming down as much as possible to try to get some RTV in there. Hope it works, or the engine is coming back out.

I don't use rtv or silicone on most things anymore,buy some "Right Stuff" it works

I know I'm not that bright or I would have a job right now but, can't you get new cork gaskets (No RTV) to fit by just raising engine with mounts loose, and dropping pan? I thought that's what I was going to be doing with my 67. Please advise!

Ye,I think so. The side flange gasket should just slip in. I question how clean you could get the area though.

I have the 'right stuff' RTV on the way through Amazon. I couldn't find it quickly anywhere else. I got all the pan bolts off, and I've only got about an inch of room with the headers and the pan dropped. I'm hoping to clean up with Brakekleen, and put this stuff in there. We'll see what happens.

-
Back