Oil leak from pressure sensor?

-

player1up

Reaction score
73 225 /6 duster. :scratch:
ok so I had the engine running while setting up the stereo the way I like it and all of a sudden the oil dummy light came on, IMMEDIATELY shut off the engine and started the inspection. well it looks like the pressure sensor has oil all over it and the trail on the driveway starts right below it. now the duster was sitting at a slight down hill angle (backed up the driveway). My question is - what happened? do these things just blow out or did sitting at the angle while idling (5 or so minutes) do something wierd? I've been driving it for a couple of days back and forth to work with no incidents.

They will just start leaking at anytime. I bought a car from
a guy years back. He couldn't figure out the oil leak. He thought
it was a rear main or a intake gasket. Bought the car. Changed
the pressure switch and resold it for a good profit.

time to find an all night auto parts store.... fun of a daily driver :)

Thanks

yeah I haven't gotten to redoing the gauges yet. the goofy thing has 1/2 npt threads, luckily there is a 24hr auto parts store oh about 15 miles away and $4 in tolls. all for a $4.49 part.... such is life. but I could blow through the old one to make it leak, just odd timing.. thanks guys.

73 225 /6 duster. :scratch:
ok so I had the engine running while setting up the stereo the way I like it and all of a sudden the oil dummy light came on, IMMEDIATELY shut off the engine and started the inspection. well it looks like the pressure sensor has oil all over it and the trail on the driveway starts right below it. now the duster was sitting at a slight down hill angle (backed up the driveway). My question is - what happened? do these things just blow out or did sitting at the angle while idling (5 or so minutes) do something wierd? I've been driving it for a couple of days back and forth to work with no incidents.

The sensor itself may have just simply came loosened over time and may just be dangling. That would be the clear reason why the light went off, as it is no longer connected to the block to receive readings and the open oil hole is where the oil is coming from. The sensor may have cracked, but I have never experienced that.

Just for safety, check all around for other leaks to make sure you have no other catostrophic leak problems causing a loss of pressure signal, but im 90% sure that it is a loose or broken pressure sensor.

If I remember correctly the switch has a common weak point whare they crimp the body together that always leaks also with the slant iff the sensor came out their would be no oil in the crank case in a matter of seconds. it like a 1/2 hole in the oil pump

yep the pressure sensor "looked" fine but it was leaking where the plastic center is crimped into the aluminum body that threads into the block.

after buying mine and driving across town i noticed oil all over my inner fender.
i checked it and was a quart low on a new oil change!
then i noticed this plastic line on the firewall dripping...OIL!
someone had simply cut the plastic oil line and taken the guage. (probly that "midnight" parts guy...)
so i got a new guage/kit and its fixed now...its always better to do a serious inspection before driving these old cars, but what fun would that be? HAHA...
seriously tho; its best to have a guage AND a warning light.

-
Back