oil leak help

-

cowest432

Reaction score
went to prime my 416 and a leak was found,, the oil filter,, checked filter # Purolator L14670 it shows 360,, I have a 69 cast date 340,,, Purolator says L30001 is called for the early 340,,the only difference is the ooo1 filter is .oo8 bigger in dia.,, I want to start this motor by weeks end,, so any help would be great also have 2 adapters I could use,, alum and iron if it makes things easier

when block came back from shop the oil filter plate was off,, I need info on what gaskets go on behind filter plate pior to it being tight'n to block,, thanks found pic of what i am talking about,,, what gasket go behind this plate

Attachments

• $_35.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 147
have all the gaskets for it,, it's seems to leaking from behind filter base plate and need to know what gaskets are behind plate

The gaskets shown in the link go between the engine block and the baseplate.
You will probably want to double up the hole count in that plate. If your oil-pressure is too high, it can blow the filter off the plate, or the plate off the block. I put two plates each with 8holes, synchronized, on my 360, and problem was solved. Prior to this I had ported the pump, the rear maincap,and the block.I run a hi-volume pump.I had to switch away from a 15W40 oil. I run 10W30 mostly. No more leaks there. As the engine ages (now has 100,000plus miles) I have been returning to 10W40, and occasionally 15W40. So far,so good.

A friend ,did a number matching 340 (1973 vintage) Challenger. Oil whizzed past the filter seal, is that what you are seeing? Takes two ,to this.Watch the filter,watch how the oil flows. F el Pro ,complete small block gasket kit,in this case. They sent all oil plate gasket possibilities, in their "engine gasket kit" The first one leaked, like you describe. The fatter thicker plate gasket ( in the engine gasket kit..) , and careful installation ,solved his problem. Mopar S.B., isn't a 350 Chevy, .It needs specific attention... My personal experience...

took 2 more times of oil pouring out but 3rd was the charm,, plus I drilled 4 more holes [thanks AJ/forms],,am using milling h.o. pump,,, hope to post my 416 first start up Friday,, thanks to all

-
Back