Oil leak out of the speedo cable mounting adapter on the tranny

-

Vs29H1B

Reaction score
I have a leak from the speedometer cable housing on the drivers side of my Torque Flite.

Who has replaced the seals / o-ring setup on that, and what is involved (which parts are required) in the remove/replacement of those items?

I vaguely recall that someone posted that it is best to jack up the car from the rear (to allow the tranny fluid to drain forward), place the car on jack stands on the rear end / frame, then disconnect the speedo cable, and use a special tool to remove the seal / o-rings? This is a two part / two - piece
replacement (inner o-ring and outer round rubber seal)???

Any info. on the steps required and the pitfalls(what to avoid-what to do), and the parts required would be appreciated!

This tranny is leaking on the exhaust pipe, drivers side! STINKS!

Tranks in advance...

Should be very simple, probably just need a new o-ring on the housing.

I would jack the car up on the drivers side, or the rear would probably work just the same to keep the ATF out from where you'll be working. The speedo setup is very easy, however if you dont have a book or have never 'clocked' your speedometer gear, put a sharpie mark or something on the housing and the case so you can line it up easier without having to count the teeth on the gear and all that fun stuff.

Should just be able to jack it up, probably dont even have to take the cable off the housing, just remove the (i think) 7/16ths bolt that is just like a distributor hold-down, you can wiggle your speedo housing out after that is off. Then using a pick, might be able to just get it off with your hand, take the o-ring out and put a new one in..should be that simple. If you dont have a o-ring taking the old one to a napa, carquest, etc, etc...they should have one the same size.

Very simple job.

Jacking it up from the back is probably the best so the fluid will run forward. Most I've seen leak from the inner seal not the outer o-ring but it could be either. You'll have to determine which is leaking and aquire the approiate seal/seals from your local auto supply or mopar dealer. Then it's best to first get a drain pan and clean everything first with a can of brake cleaner (may take a couple cans if it's really grimey). If it's the outer seal do like Mike said. If it's the inner seal you may be able to get it without removing the speedometer pinion gear carrier but most likey you'll have to remove it cause it sounds like your exhaust is probably going to be in the way. Remove the carrier and you'll find a little round metal ring holding the inner seal in. You'll need a seal pick to get it out. Remove it and replace the seal. Don't forget to lube the seal up with some lithium grease. and reassemble in reverse order.

Guys thanks for the instructions. I will be getting this car up on stands and following your instructions soon.

-
Back