Oil leak rear of intake

-

Aaron

Reaction score
I have an oil leak at the rear of my engine right behind the intake. I just installed a new Mopar distributor and an Edlebrock air-gap on my 360, and the problem didnt appear until after the install. I used the recommended gaskets on the sides, and only rtv on the front and back. I though it was the old stock sending unit (it looked very worn out) so I ditched it for a new autometer oil pressure gauge. PSI is great, but the leak is still there. I am pretty sure I did a good job sealing the rear of the intake, so is it possible there is a leak where the distrubutor mounts? The o ring did seam as tight on the new one as it was on the old. And the new distributor gasket was paper thin, the old one was some sort of ribbed metal round gasket. The leak doesnt occur when the car is sitting, only when I drive it, oil pressure stays good. Any thoughts on this issue?
Thanks

I have an oil leak at the rear of my engine right behind the intake. I just installed a new Mopar distributor and an Edlebrock air-gap on my 360, and the problem didnt appear until after the install. I used the recommended gaskets on the sides, and only rtv on the front and back. I though it was the old stock sending unit (it looked very worn out) so I ditched it for a new autometer oil pressure gauge. PSI is great, but the leak is still there. I am pretty sure I did a good job sealing the rear of the intake, so is it possible there is a leak where the distrubutor mounts? The o ring did seam as tight on the new one as it was on the old. And the new distributor gasket was paper thin, the old one was some sort of ribbed metal round gasket. The leak doesnt occur when the car is sitting, only when I drive it, oil pressure stays good. Any thoughts on this issue?
Thanks

It more likely isn't the intake but I would re-torque the intake bolts after the motor has been through a few thermal cycles.

Did you use Teflon tape around the the new sending unit when you installed it?

I just went through the same problem on my intake,first thing i did to correct it, was reuse the old distributor o-ring the one that comes with the new gasket set is too fat,and does'nt allow the distributor to sit in the opening correctly,when you seal the intake let it sit over night,so the rtv can set up properly...

i would bet that a little pinhole developed in the rtv at a corner. it happens. i use "the right stuff" its thicker than standard black rtv and sets up within 1-2 minutes and is fully cured overnight.

I just went through the same problem on my intake,first thing i did to correct it, was reuse the old distributor o-ring the one that comes with the new gasket set is too fat,and does'nt allow the distributor to sit in the opening correctly,when you seal the intake let it sit over night,so the rtv can set up properly...

Very true.... I reused my old one for the same reason.

Wonder why Felpro makes them to fat?

I used teflon on the sending unit as specified in the instructions. Also used it on the bolts that didnt have blind holes.
Thanks for the tips on the intake. I will try the old metal gasket tomorrow on the distributor and see if that does it. I was sure I did a good job sealing the rear of the intake, but if its still leaking its coming off for a re-seal. Is it possible to use the felpro cork end gaskets with an edlebrock intake, even though they say they are not needed?Oh, and I will try to track down some right-stuff sealer, looks like a great product.

I used teflon on the sending unit as specified in the instructions. Also used it on the bolts that didnt have blind holes.
Thanks for the tips on the intake. I will try the old metal gasket tomorrow on the distributor and see if that does it. I was sure I did a good job sealing the rear of the intake, but if its still leaking its coming off for a re-seal. Is it possible to use the felpro cork end gaskets with an edlebrock intake, even though they say they are not needed?Oh, and I will try to track down some right-stuff sealer, looks like a great product.

My auto mechanics teacher in high school did not recommend the cork gaskets on the stock intakes much less aftermarket aluminum. He said especially Ford had a problem with blowing the cork gaskets out.

Just thought I would give an Positive update:

After removing the intake it was very clear that the rear didnt seal up like it should, and caused the leak. So I cleaned everything really really good and used new gaskets on the sides, and "The Right Stuff" on the front and rear. Also used a little of the right-stuff sealer on the thermostat housing in place of a gasket and sealer. So far no leaks!!

Here is a pic of what I looked like Friday after I got it all done for the second time:

SANY0017.JPG

Nice job and good to hear that you got leak taken care of.

How do you like the tranny dipstick you're using? Is it a Lokar or Milodon?

Thanks!
I had to buy a lokar (I didnt know mildon had one) after I kept having leaks with the stock one (even after replacing the o-ring). Its pretty freaking nice!! It has two o-rings on the fitting for the tranny for a really good seal. And its so flexable, you can bend it in half, and it would still work fine. I mounted it so it was easy to check and fill the fluid.

Its so nice to have my Duster on the road again!!!

Thanks!
I had to buy a lokar (I didnt know mildon had one) after I kept having leaks with the stock one (even after replacing the o-ring). Its pretty freaking nice!! It has two o-rings on the fitting for the tranny for a really good seal. And its so flexable, you can bend it in half, and it would still work fine. I mounted it so it was easy to check and fill the fluid.

they are nice dipsticks. the only drawback i see is the tube they give you to fill it. without it, next to impossible to fill. for a stock style one i use hughes performance.

Great job - The motor looks great. I"m about to embark on the same thing, new heads/intake so I"m going to make sure I get some "right stuff" RTV I think. Everyone seems to swear by it...

Thanks!

they are nice dipsticks. the only drawback i see is the tube they give you to fill it. without it, next to impossible to fill. for a stock style one i use hughes performance.

Thanks Aaron and Red!

-
Back