oil leak

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
I'm having trouble diagnosing where this leak is coming from. Are there any typical areas that these engine develop leaks?

Oil is found under the engine on the floor. I'm not seeing oil in manifolds nor do I smell it (burn off).

Any help would be great

Valve covers, oil pan gaskets, oil gallery plugs without thread sealant, etc... Many places.

Clean it up and then inspect closely after your next drive.

Under what part of the engine? Oil pressure sending units can cause issues.

Seems to be centrally located under pan. I checked the drain plug.

It's weird to in that it if I drive it somewher and park it doesn't leave a puddle or aything. It's like after it sits for a while. I'll check the pan.

my big block is doing the same thing. after a drive nothing, but after it sits for a day or so it starts to leak.

Tony

How bad of a job is it to yank the pan once the engine is in the car. Never had to do one in the car.

didn't look too hard on mine although i haven't done it yet. should need to remove center link only. i did find the pan bolts needed to be tightened, however it didn't stop the leak. waiting on my new gauges to get here then going to replace the mechanical oil line with a pressure switch.( i noted some leakage there as well) still a little perplexed though at the fact that it seems to leak the most after sitting and not after driving.

Tony

It should be easier than getting a small block pan off, which I have done once. I had to raise the engine a little in my GTS (340). A couple of the bolts might be difficult to get to...

-
Back