Oil modifications.....why and how to.

-

360moparjunkie

Reaction score
We are carefully building our 360 and are closr to final assy of our block.

The "why" should be obvious....better oiling to your bearings should help preserve them in severe duty conditions.

The "how to".
Is this just a matter of enlarging oil passage ways?
All of them?
How much?
With what tool...drill bits?

Thank you for the continued assistance.

Same questions here.

So far I have just matched surfaces and ported to reduce turbulance. Wondering if I should do more.

Attachments

• Stroker10_12_10Sm01.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 399
  • Stroker10_12_10Sm07.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 381
  • Stroker10_3_10Sm19.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 381
  • Stroker10_10_10Sm09a.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 406
  • Stroker10_10_10Sm13a.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 374
If you plan on sustaining rpms above 7500 or shift frequently above , then yeah...oil mods would be smart.

If you're only touching 7k here and there, I wouldn't bother.

what you guys should do with that grinder... is work on your heads.

It's not just enlarging the oil ports. It's also smoothing the transitions. If you look close you'll find several places that are supposed to intersect don't make the transition good. That's where you get after it with the die grinder and straighten things out.

Easy mod, drill four more holes in the oil filter adapter plate.

Great job. Those oil passages are quite crude aren't they? Every thing you're doing is going to help. Long passages (like for lifters) are step drilled. The machines can only drill so far so the next drill is smaller and the next smaller yet.
You can get gun drills long enough to drill through with one size.

Make sure the cam bearing oil holes are lined up. You will have to elongate the holes, guranteed. It is OK to restrict the oil some, but NOT at the bearings! Don't matter what bearing, they need as much oil flow as you can get them.

Most cam bearings are at least a half moon off.

What I do, is beat the old bearings out on disassembly, pound them back in with the hole to the lifter galley perfectly lined up, then drill from the top of the main cap into the bearing. Then I take them, and copycat them with the new bearings.

The reason I mentioned this, is because it seems most forget it.

The issues most of enthusiasts will hit is more related to poor machining than poor oil system design. Some certain parts or performance goals will need more than this. In terms of "secrets", for every engine there's a few things I do...
-I drill the filter adaptor plate so there's at least (8) 1/4" holes in it.
-I enlarge the main bearing feed passages that come down from the lifter galley to 5/16, which is the size of the oil hole in the bearing shell.
-I drill additional drain holes in the valley area so oil can get down to the sump faster.
-I deburr and shape the valley holes to remove any restrictions to the oil return.
-I use a carbide burr to carefully elongate the holes in the cam bearing backing.. Not the hole itself, but the steel backing.... so oil can flow through the hole much easier and make use of more of the passage.
-I use the best machinist I can find, not the cheapest, and I own the correct tools to measure everything properly. I also write down everything I measure.
That last one will go the furthest to helping survive. I don't feel taking hours to shape every passage or increase the oil volume beyond what I noted above has any real return, as there's thousands of engines that never had it that do just fine.

-
Back