Oil on valve covers

-
I said all that up there ^^^^^ Dave. One side is vacuum (PCV) and the other side is the inlet or negative pressure if you will. (air cleaner).

Why don't you go argue about whether the sun comes up in the east.

Oh, gotcha. You just said it wrong then. You had a double negative.

Should read : " One side is vacuum (PCV) and the other side is the inlet or atmospheric pressure if you will. (air cleaner)."

The sun actually rises to the southeast at this time of the year for me and to a greater lesser extent everyone north of the equator.

-Really, ALL the PCV is doing is bring FILTERED air through the air cleaner into the head, to create a inward vacuum to then take the crankcase "blow-by" through the actual PCV valve and puts it all back into the intake manifold to re-burn it. -To make use of the cylinder crankcase blow-by, which is unburnt fuel and air thats gone in the cylinder and passed between piston rings into the crankcase and or oil pan to recirculate it back to be burnt again. -Meaning that the hose connected to the actual air cleaner that sits on top of the carburetor isn't needed IF you have a good baffle in the valve cover, topped with a small little "air cleaner" on the outside of the valve cover. Granted these do have drip holes to drain oil out of them and should go back into the head, if positioned right.

All the original PCV valve is plumbed to the air cleaner for is to assure CLEAN air is going IN the crankcase, it doesn't have to be "connected" to the carburetor air cleaner to work.

The oil is carried by this pressure, to the filter and may drip, BUT it sounds like a PCV valve seal, OR valve cover breather seal leak. As if it were the normal use "drip" it be one thing, but the OP sounds that its excessive. OR a baffle isn't working as it should be! OR theres to much block pressure, meaning the piston ring "gaps" were aligned and not staggered, and the intake of fuel and air is easily passing by the piston rings, causing the block ventilation to carry more then normal amounts of oil through the valve cover breather and its expelling gasses as well as oil! OR the whole PCV system isn't working and its blowing out where it should be drawing in! Air as well as oil!

The original factor setup does not filter the air before going into the head via the breather tube. That connection is outside the air filter, not inside (for the main reason of positive pressure). Whatever quality of air you're driving in gets 'pushed' down into the head on a factory setup. Without that you're 'pushing' road quality air into the head. Unless of course you change the breather on a regular basis. The paper/cotton filters inside breathers wear out on a regular basis just like air filters.

This is a "closed" PCV system built by me to address exactly what RRR is saying, and is also a stopper of crankcase venting to atmosphere, so it solves oil outside the motor, pushing out of the dipstick and lessens or stops most possible valve cover and other gasket and seal seeps.

It uses vacuum T'd off the power brakes vac line and pulls a vacuum on the crankcase via the PCV valve.
The hose connected to the air cleaner is where filtered air gets sucked in by the vacuum in the crankcase and the filtered air crosses through the engine then pulled out the other valve cover and into the carb base to be burned with the fuel/air mixture.
I use a metered orifice in the PCV hose to carb base so I can adjust the crankcase vacuum higher or lower, have baffled valve covers and foam filters inside both valve cover caps.

Easy to do and works perfect.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 154
  • 2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 3.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 130
Oh, gotcha. You just said it wrong then. You had a double negative.

Should read : " One side is vacuum (PCV) and the other side is the inlet or atmospheric pressure if you will. (air cleaner)."

The sun actually rises to the southeast at this time of the year for me and to a greater lesser extent everyone north of the equator.

Somehow, I knew that was comin.

This is a "closed" PCV system built by me to address exactly what RRR is saying, and is also a stopper of crankcase venting to atmosphere, so it solves oil outside the motor, pushing out of the dipstick and lessens or stops most possible valve cover and other gasket and seal seeps.

It uses vacuum T'd off the power brakes vac line and pulls a vacuum on the crankcase via the PCV valve.
The hose connected to the air cleaner is where filtered air gets sucked in by the vacuum in the crankcase and the filtered air crosses through the engine then pulled out the other valve cover and into the carb base to be burned with the fuel/air mixture.
I use a metered orifice in the PCV hose to carb base so I can adjust the crankcase vacuum higher or lower, have baffled valve covers and foam filters inside both valve cover caps.

Easy to do and works perfect.

Easy to do, works perfect, but you cannot for the life of you get anybody to listen.

Easy to do, works perfect, but you cannot for the life of you get anybody to listen.

Nope, because the point gets lost in the arguments over little details that don't really matter to the problem.

You guys do a lot more good than you realize. Thanks for your knowledge and thanks for sharing it.

-
Back