Oil pan and pump question

-

dantegray

Reaction score
I just build a 400/470 solid roller stroker and was wonder what oil pump and pan to install. Berrings are .0025 - .003. I plan to turn 6500 - 6800 Rpm and was wondering if I needed a 7qt or will the 6qt hemi pan work? I have a melling 63HV (high volume) oil pump and 6qt pan installed but will change if needed (im having 2nd thoughts due to RPM potential). Also will I have any ground clearance with the 7qt pan to lower the duster? I have a 73 K-member installed. Does the K-member need to be opened?

Thanks...

I agree, if the car launches hard you will be glad you have the deeper pan

any recommendations for a pan that dosent hang too low? This is a street car that will see some strip.

I was thinking of Moroso Street/Strip Oil Pans 20760 7qt or Milodon 30930 7qt, Would that be adequate?

I've got the Milodon 30930 and 1/2" pickup and Melling HV pump in my 470 and it works perfect.
As long as you don't lower your car, ground clearance will be fine.

I've got the Milodon 30930 and 1/2" pickup and Melling HV pump in my 470 and it works perfect.
As long as you don't lower your car, ground clearance will be fine.

How much ground clearance do you have? Is anycutting or beating the pan required? Will my 1/4inch stud girdle be in the way of anything?

I've also got a 1/4" stud girdle, no problem there.
I did cut a notch out of the right front corner of the K frame just to make engine removal/installation easier but it's not absolutely necessary.
I've got 4 inches of ground clearance at the oil pan, I've never had a problem with that.

-
Back