Oil Pan Dipstick?

-

charger426

Reaction score
Trying to do a build with this 78 truck block and I'm running into a small issue. The dipstick on this motor goes into the side of the oil pan. Of course my new deep oil pan does not have this provision. Is there some way to make the block accept a "standard" 440 dipstick or am I left with tryouts no to drill and tap my new pan for the old dipstick?

Did some more vacuuming and scrubbing on the block and found a plug where the dipstick normally goes. I took a punch and have tried to beat it from the inside out and it hasn't moved. Has anyone else taken a truck block and converted it for a car dip stick?

The truck block is no different from a passenger block. The plug should just punch out. Is your punch too big in diameter?

The truck block is no different from a passenger block. The plug should just punch out. Is your punch too big in diameter?

I don't think so. I was able to leave an indent in the plug with my punch. I went ahead and filled up the hole with PB Blast for the night. Fingers crossed that will help break down some of the gunk in the hole. This block has sat out side for over 10 years so everything has been pretty tough to get off. Like I had to take the oil pump off in two pieces as it just wouldn't break its hold onto the block.

Just to close this loop I was able to get the plug out. Ended up grinding down an air hammer punch I bought at harbor freight in order for it to fit. Some air hammer time and it came right out.

I don't think so. I was able to leave an indent in the plug with my punch. I went ahead and filled up the hole with PB Blast for the night. Fingers crossed that will help break down some of the gunk in the hole. This block has sat out side for over 10 years so everything has been pretty tough to get off. Like I had to take the oil pump off in two pieces as it just wouldn't break its hold onto the block.

I hope the block works out for you. I've gotten involved in two builds starting with rusty blocks and both turned out to futile excercises. One of them I spent hundreds on to find out it was not usable. Only way I would do it is if it was a resto and needed a specific block or casting number/date.

-
Back