Oil pan gasket on a 65 Valiant?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
Is the oil pan gasket change something that can be accomplished on your back with the car jacked up? The 65 service manual says to remove the center link, loosen the motor mounts, remove the horns, and then raise the engine 1.5-2 inches. Now I know by now it's not as easy it's printed out on the page. I'm just trying to reseal this 170 in my 65 Valiant to make sure it retains oil and to make it clean. It needs motor mounts. I want to do intake/exhaust, oil pan, timing cover, valve cover, and water pump. As I do it I'm getting each part blasted and repainted Chrysler Engine Red. The block and engine bay have been blasted clean with a pressure washer. The engine runs good too. Is there any secrets to changing the oil pan gasket on the ground? Which gasket should I change first? I've got another valve cover ready since the one on my 170 has the wrong PCV type. It has a grommet mine should have the push on metal PCV so I swiped one from the junkyard. I know the intake/exhaust is scary. Since I remember all the exhaust to intake bolts broke on every Slant Six manifold I've tried to remove. What about the timing cover? Is it an easy job?

Do the step by step that your service manual say's. I know it sounds lame, but that is just what you have to do. I usually drop the center link, drain oil when I'm under the car, unbolt motor mounts, jack motor up about 3-4 inches [so I have plenty of room], then take the pan off. Take old gasket off. CLEAN REALLY GOOD both surfaces.[the pan and the bottom of the motor where pan bolts on]. Apply new gasket and put it back together. Make sure to use a torque wrench to do pan bolts. VERY IMPORTANT!!!! CLEAN AND TORQUE!!! And you'll be just fine. I know it kinda sucks, but it will be good for ya. Have fun.

Depending on the time and your skills. It may be easier to pull the motor. I prefer to do this as the rear main can be tricky to get. Also it allows you to clean everything up real good before it goes back in.
Frank
PS I ALL Ways end up with Stuff in my eyes when I try and change anything under the motor.(even with safety glasses on)

-
Back