Oil Pan Gasket

-

lsrguy2007

Reaction score
I have a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport with a 225/6. I saw that the oil pan gasket comes in 4 pieces. Is it difficult to replace? All of the others I've replaced have been 1 piece. Any help is appreciated.

Nope. Very easy. To ME the easiest way is to pull the engine and get it on a stand so you gan flip it upside down and get right to it. MUCH less chance for leaks that way. IT's a LOT easier than laying upside down trying to get everything done.

What about up on a lift?
A lift won't make it any easier to get the oil pan out past the k frame. That's the biggest issue. Although it would make it easier to work with to be able to stand under it. I just pull the engine and transmission. I did it to mine, replaced the bearings, oil pump and timing set and resealed the oil pan. Count the number of fasteners. It's minimal. I'm old and disabled and so is my wife. We had the engine and transmission on the FLOOR in less than 45 minutes. It's just SO much easier to get to out of the car. I don't know why some guys fight like all hell to keep from pulling the engine. It's just not difficult at all.

Much, much, much easier to do this job with the engine pulled, absolutely yes. Doing it in situ isn't quite so likely to make you swear to pull the engine next time…but almost. Plus, there's a bunch of other stuff you can easily do at the same time. Check/replace other gaskets that are a pain with the engine in (oil pump, oil pump cover, timing cover/front seal…), take a look at the engine mounts in case if they're due, etc.

-
Back