Oil pan options

-

Valkman

Reaction score
So I made a homemade baffle in the stock oil pan, but it sprung a leak where I welded the plate in. So I'm going to replace the pan. It looks like if I can remove the center link I can remove the pan without removing the engine, anyone know if this is possible? I have a 65 Barracuda with a 408 (360 block). Also anyone use the Kevko M306 cheater pan, it's a stock size and my car is a street driven so I want good ground clearance, and if you have can you use the stock pickup?

Last edited:
So you have three questions in here

1. Can you remove the stock oil pan without pulling engine?
2. Does the Kevko pan have good ground clearance?
3. Can you use a stock pick up with the Kevko pan.

1.no. not to my knowledge. Even if you got the stock one out, the Kevko wouldn't go back in.
2.yes. Kevko pan has decent ground clearance.
3.no. Kevko is deeper, and baffled. Sux to pay $50 for a pick up, but you need it.

Studio_20200320_185024.png

You *should* be able to drop the pan- after dropping the centerlink, unbolting the motor mounts, and jacking the engine up. But it is TIGHT, and I don't mean maybe. Don't forget to remove the distributor (or at least the cap) when you jack the engine up- it WILL contact the firewall. Your results may vary. Early As are tighter than later As, and it may not be possible. By the way, why don't you just fix the leak in your existing pan?

You *should* be able to drop the pan- after dropping the centerlink, unbolting the motor mounts, and jacking the engine up. But it is TIGHT, and I don't mean maybe. Don't forget to remove the distributor (or at least the cap) when you jack the engine up- it WILL contact the firewall. Your results may vary. Early As are tighter than later As, and it may not be possible. By the way, why don't you just fix the leak in your existing pan?
If it leaked once it might leak again don't trust my fab job:lol:

Valkman, interesting, I've been contemplating the Milodon touring pan, but its ugly and costly.
Did you get this pan?
Do you think a windage tray would clear those baffles?

No I went ahead with the 302 pan, it cost just a bit more and it holds an extra quart. Now I have to pull th motor again! :BangHead:

I bought the M306, waiting on another due to an issue with the center baffle hitting the pickup tube (Kevko also), hopefully the new one won't be a problem, it is physically stock size the best I can tell.

-
Back