Oil Pan Quiz-How many rear lips?

-

dartjack

Reaction score
Ok. Until today I ***-U-MEd :eek:ops: there were two rear pan/cap sizes. Had the pan all cleaned up for the 360 beater motor and sticky stuff in place. Surprise! There's 1/2" between the seal and the cap?! THIS pan fits the 318 three feet away that's the next project? Are there 3 different seal/cap sizes on the small block? Both casting #'s and stamps one the front check out. Also main bolt spacing. Go ahead yall-School this Fool!

The rear main bearing diameter is different on the 360 than the one for the 273/318/340.

You can interchange pans on 273/318/340, but 360's have a different rear radius on the oil pan.

Ps. there are no lips on a chicken...

Pss. A duck went to the drug store to buy some chapstick. The cashier said, "that'll be $2.50."

The duck replied, "Just put it on my bill..."

Ok. 360 radius is larger than 318? Yes? Pan from 85 318 non roller 2 bbl pan has larger radius than the 360? That would make three different radius. :banghead: I have never seen this before. Does the magnum block have a different radius? Maybe I found a late run/early changeover block. I'm stumped.

No, two. The 318 pan is LARGER than the 360. I believe the front / rear ends of the 318 pan are same size.

All pans use the same front radius. 360LA and all Magnums IE 5.2 and 5.9 use a SMALL radius rear

Also, whatever you use make DARN sure the oil pump clears the pan. Hell even Milodon pans and pumps sometimes give trouble!!!! I have what was supposed to be a stock (not high output) pump with countersunk (flathead) cover screws and that damn thing hit the bottom rear of the pan.

Well frost my knickers. I thought the 360 was larger since it had a larger crank diameter. The other pans I have do look like both ends take the same seal. Thanks!!

The rear main bearing diameter is different on the 360 than the one for the 273/318/340.

You can interchange pans on 273/318/340, but 360's have a different rear radius on the oil pan.

Ps. there are no lips on a chicken...

Pss. A duck went to the drug store to buy some chapstick. The cashier said, "that'll be $2.50."

The duck replied, "Just put it on my bill..."

Does a chicken with it's pecker?

Let me get this straight. With the pan sitting flat on the block side rails the rear end has a 1/2" gap?? If the pan rails are not seated and it's hung up on the rear main bearing cap you have a 318 pan. The fact that it fits the 318 next to it makes me think you don't have a 360 pan there.

Let me get this straight. With the pan sitting flat on the block side rails the rear end has a 1/2" gap?? If the pan rails are not seated and it's hung up on the rear main bearing cap you have a 318 pan. The fact that it fits the 318 next to it makes me think you don't have a 360 pan there.

I think the gap he is referring to is over the rear main cap.

I do have a pan that fits. Lucky me. I think I found the reason my brain thought the 360 had a bigger rear lip. Tip of the hat to the DC boys.

Attachments

• 2014-01-26_22-13-11_612[1].jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 94
-
Back