Oil Pan Seals ??

-

RPM

Superior Member
Reaction score
ok. so I have a question I think i already know the answer too, but before I go farther I want to connfirm this.

I am replacing the oil pan gaskets on my 360.
I know you have the timing /crank gasket and the rear gasket and the side gaskets.......but... when I took the pan off I found two little wedge /_\
shaped gaskets stuck in the gasket sealer at the rear of the pan. know these are approx. 1" long and wedge shaped. I thought these went under the main cap for the rear main seal. . Now I was not the last one to put the pan on so I am wondering what the heck.

Now the pan wasnt leaking from the back and I dont think there is any main leaks. So is this just a weird thing, or do they actually go somewhere before I put the pan back on....help?

anyone?

-RPM

When the rear main seal is installed on the motor,two rubber strips of 1/8 seals are laid down in between the main cap and the block to stop any leakage.The pieces you see are the outer parts of that seal.You can simple run a bead of silicone to replace the area where the seal would have been.Look at the rear main cap to be sure the seel did not pull out of the cap,and reinstall the pan,Mrmopartech

well thats what i thought they were, but i for the life of me cannot see where they would have come out of without physically removing the cap.
I put the pan back on without the pcs. Maybe it will leak....I will just have to see....wonder why, if they came out, they did.?? Well we will see if they were needed. Stupid pan gasket tore at the front timing cover bolt when installing too so I probably will be back in ther again real soon. i HATE pan gaskets, we dont get along for some reason.

thanks for the input.

-RPM

I hate them too, esp the cork ones. I saw in summit or jegs that there is a one piece pan gasket for 360's and that is what I will try next time. It is made by SCE and is about 28 bucks, might be worth it since it is reusable.

well got the car fired up and running after the cam swap
Cam sounds good.
Oil pan leaks. from the gasket area. :cussing:
Well at least I figured it was going to. huh.
So I guess I get to try it again. Does anyone have a sure fire way to keep this cork crap gaskets from squishing out or tearing. For some reason they hate me and I in turn HATE them.

-RPM

RPM,
Make sure all gasket surfaces are clean and dry. You are using new pan end seals right? Only use silicone in the four corners of the gasket surface where cork and rubber meet. Silicone will act as a lubricant if it has not set up and the cork gasket will squish out. If the gasket surfaces are clean and dry, the cork gasket should seal just fine. Use a very small amount of fel-co bond to hold the gasket in place on the engine sealing surface if installing the pan with the engine in the vehicle. I haven't tried the one piece pan gaskets yet, but I have heard good things about them. Hope this helps!

thanks for the words.
That could be my problem...or is my problem. I siliconed the whole gasket.
I did let it set up a bit....but obviously that didnt work.
Years ago my father used to use this tar like stuff which I think one can still buy. I think its fel-pro gasket sealer for like aviation. Maybe I should just tack the gaskets on with that.....or look into the complete gasket set up.
So....you really shouldnt have to put sealer around the whole pan?? hmm.
I may try that this next time around.

thanks

-RPM

Cork and silicone don't mix. That goes for valve cover gaskets and intake manifold end seals which most people don't use with a high perf intake manifold anyway due to the lack of locating pin holes in the manifold (anyone want some? I think I have two or three sets laying around!). You should be able to find Felco-bond at any auto parts store. If you can't, just look for "Gasket Adhesive". I know what your talking about regarding the tar like sealant your dad used. I might be wrong but I thing it is or was called Gaskacinch. It's an excellent adhesive/sealer but is a bear to get off if you ever want to replace the gasket. Iv'e never had a leak installing a cork gasket dry, but I do mean absolutley dry, no oil or big hacks in the sealing surfaces. BTW, I have a few extra sets of new 360 end seals, PM me if you want them and I'll stuff 'em in an envelope, free of charge.

-
Back