oil press WAY TO HIGH during prime

-
To the OP.....Yes the original 'shim' is out of orbit. I got a small engine oil pump to go over 100 psi with just a shim of 1/8". That level of pressure will blow the oil filter or it's gasket every time. New pump gears and pump clearances don't need any help to put out plenty of pressure.

Pull out the shim and re-install and then re-prime and see what you get. That is to make sure you did not overcompress the spring or do anything to the valve piston; probably not, but you need to back up and check. 50-70 psi cold is plenty.

Reading that a bit more pressure is beneficial is suspect; taking care that the internal clearances are correct everywhere does far more to put the right amounts of oil everywhere.

Also check to make sure that your oil filter didn't blow apart internally (look at it after removing it and draining the oil out of it).

Check your engine block to make sure that there are no pieces of filter in there if it did break apart from the high pressure when priming....

Ok. Give me some time to tear it apart, take pictures, process the pictures, and then post them...

I'm on it...

Stay tuned...

Thank you for your efforts. I will be at work most of the day and will return to the post later.
Byw, I was quoted far mor than $7 for the hp spring kit. I will outsource using more than one price in the future.
Darrell

Thank you for your efforts. I will be at work most of the day and will return to the post later.
Byw, I was quoted far mor than $7 for the hp spring kit. I will outsource using more than one price in the future.
Darrell

You are welcome.

You may as well order the spring kit from Mancini, you will need the cup plug in it anyway, you may as well just buy the kit and use the spring with it....

You should be able to fix it. Luckily you caught it before installing the engine in the car you'll only need another oil pan gasket to fix it.

Mancini Racing and Summit Racing are two good sources for parts and price. Mancini caters to Mopar and can price close to Summit. Both of them can get me parts in 1-2 days when they are in stock. I've been using both of them for over 30 years.

http://www.manciniracing.com/

http://www.summitracing.com/

Karl

Darrell

MP has long discontinued it. Only place I know now is Mancini.

IIRC.... When you asked about shimming the spring,, you were advised to shim it with a 3/16, or #10 nut,, with a thickness not to exceed 100 thou,, not a 1/4 or 5/16th of an inch..

You may just want to replace the spring or pump. If the spring has been compressed to its solid (when the coils touch) or close to solid, it's performance has been degraded.

Why would you even fool with doing this?? I thought shims in an oil pump was a trick for engines that are wore assed out and needed a few extra psi to survive. Kinda like a cheap way out of putting a new oil pump on it.

A high volume oil pump is only like 12-15 dollars more than a standard pump. if I wanted something with a little more, I wouldn't jerry rig such an important part

A high volume oil pump is only like 12-15 dollars more than a standard pump. if I wanted something with a little more, I wouldn't jerry rig such an important part

Easy boy. There was a time when you didn't know everything.

How did you know that I changed the spring in my kitchen??? LOL!!!

Here's the link to the thread on how to install the high pressure spring, relief valve, and cup plug orientation:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=301617

Thank you for such a fast turnaround. This information is exactly what I was asking for. When you offered I thought it was alot to ask. Nevertheless, you did the work. Awesome.

With this information I will backtrack my steps and put back to original. I have a new respect for specific spring pressures and have learned a lesson.

This site has been invaluable in helping me through uncharted waters.

Thanks again!

Darrell

Might a been lucky enough to twist off the pump drive. :)

If it makes you feel any better, I did something similar on a small block Chevy about 1980. Several items on big and small blocks interchange, including oil pumps. I put a high pressure/high volume big block pump on a 350 I built. Busted it off and my stewart warner mechanical gauge buried 120 PSI and then the filter blew off. Big mess. I have been there too. I learned real quick that too much ain't a good thing. lol

Man - you are lucky that you didn't have that thing all buttoned up and in the car. Good catch, and great advice from everyone, especially about dissecting the filter to ensure that it didn't blow apart internally and push debris into the oil galleries. You might also want to look at the rocker shafts to ensure you didn't blow the welch plugs out of the ends.

I normally use high volume, not high pressure pumps in new performance rebuilds, 50 to 60 PSI is plenty, but it is nice to have more oil to go around IMO.

Thank you for such a fast turnaround. This information is exactly what I was asking for. When you offered I thought it was alot to ask. Nevertheless, you did the work. Awesome.

Darrell

I've been planning to do that write up for a while. Your issue made me get off my @ss and get-r-done....

I've been planning to do that write up for a while. Your issue made me get off my @ss and get-r-done....

And a fine job you did. I cannot commend you enough. If you were local, I'd split a pitcher of beer with you. Ok, maybe 2 or 3. Kitty could drive home.

And a fine job you did. I cannot commend you enough. If you were local, I'd split a pitcher of beer with you. Ok, maybe 2 or 3. Kitty could drive home.

Thanks.

But you did also help solve this problem. Together we were able to get the info from him to figure out what was going on and then get him back on track. You helped get me focused on the root cause. Now the OP knows what to do to get it fixed, and learned alot from this mistake. You learn more from making a mistake and then fixing it, than just putting it together. I guarantee, he will never make this mistake again... I've learned many lessons this way also....

I like doing the write ups. My sons like when I show them how to do things and tell me I'm good at teaching. Plus it used to be part of my job, so I have alot of experience doing it...

My youngest son just started getting interested in building cars last year, and we're showing him "the ropes" now. I like passing my knowledge to him. It's better than keeping it in and letting it die with me - pass it on to keep it going.... And me and his older brother are teaching him and it's good quality time with all of us together. I'm glad that they both like to work on cars now.

My grandma used to make home made gravy for anything from scratch. My dad once told me that she never taught him how to do it. After she died, he wished she would have taught him how. The knowledge died with her. Sure there are other people out there that can do it, but it would be nice to be able to do it like her... Her way was simple, basic, and delicious....

I'm planning on doing a complete how to on engine assy, hopefully in the next year or so. C and I have been talking about it for a while.... :glasses7:

I have plans to get a few 360's together in the next year and a half if things go as planned and no set-backs. :D

Doing a whole engine and posting it all will take some planning on how to break it up into "sections" and then "adding" it all up so it flows well from start to finish. And try not to get too boring to keep people's interest... It's alot of info and pictures to collect and organize.... :banghead:

And after putting in the time and effort, knowing that it helped someone makes the whole thing worth while. (You hate to do that for nothing)....

Karl, you are really blessed to have sons interested in what you love to do. All mine wanted was to be vegetable and play video games all day. Cherish it, because it is rare these days. God bless yall.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, invaluable to some of us. I wish u could do one on the gravy, that's so much more important than an oil pump, grandma's gravy rules.

I'm impressed that cordless drill was able to turn it!

Oh no no I didn't mean any disrespect or to come off as being rude I'm just saying I consider myself to be very comfortable building engines and such but I would still be afraid of trying this trick. I've heard of it done by some old timers but never had the guts to try it myself I just spent the few extra dollars for a HV pump

Karl, you are really blessed to have sons interested in what you love to do. All mine wanted was to be vegetable and play video games all day. Cherish it, because it is rare these days. God bless yall.

That's what I'm saying. My oldest son got in early when he was 13, but the youngest didn't have any interest until last year. That's ok. I didn't want to push him....

Then when he started driving, his interest in cars opened up. His older brother started "working" on/with him. Then last April the oldest boy asked if we had an engine for the other one to work on. So I gave him a 360 that I had laying around and we tore it down together. Now we have to calculate what piston height and save up for his rods/pistons. He doesn't have a car body to put it in yet, but he's interested in a Duster or Scamp. He has plenty of time to look as he saves up his money to buy one...

Mine do get in the "video game" mode sometimes also....

But, I'm very glad that he "came around" and is interested in cars with us. I'm proud to be able to work on cars with my boys and teach them how they go together.... Both of my boys are interested in cars, I'm 2-for-2! Dam right I'm lucky....

Parts are reassembled. There was some difficulty removing bypass piston. Not alot, but enough to cause piston not to bypass. I can watch press gauge as bypass spring allows piston to move at about 65lbs. Wide open on drill allows press to rise close to 80psi. The current plan is when engine reaches operating temperature it will drop about 20psi putting operating pressure 40-60psi depending on rpm.
Thanks for the help.

Glad that it's working better now.

Thanks for the follow up post to let us know that we got it....

-
Back