Oil Pressure loss!!!

-

jimbo

Reaction score
This is a wierd one. New motor, .030 360, no exterior oil leakage, starts up and goes to 80+ psi. Begins to warm up and drops to around 60. At idle drops again to around 30 increased RPM does not affect the drop in pressure. Pressure increases and decreases at random and soon drops below 10 psi. New oil pump drive shaft, no change. New oil pressure guage, no change. I will drain and check the oil and filter next for debris and water. Any ideas????

Did you overhaul the motor your self. If you did or not check to make sure the oil galley plug by the distributor gear was put back in after the block was cooked. If you pull the distributor out you will be able to feel it to see if was put back in. Learned that one from experience.

How about your oil pressure regulator/by-pass valve sticking?
Possible, i used an additive for breakin by comp cams, a graphite based additive could do this?

Plugs are all in no severe oil leaks, just a little here and there at the timing cover.

The oil galley plug by the distributor is internal and would not notice it unless you are priming the engine and look in the distributor hole. If not installed it just overflows into the lifter valley so you wouldn't know if its leaking.

You'll need to do some disassembling to check for a missing oil galley plug. The RPM not having an affect is the clue here. Good luck.

Cam berings are replaced, I did notice a threaded hole in the distributor hole when I pulled the dist. is this what you are talking about????

The engine companies seem to like to leave these plugs out to mess with your head. I had the same problem years back with Mopar and Ford Blocks.

I changed the oil and filter and was pleasantly suprised to see the pressure was back to normal. I will pass on that additive next time. Thanks guys for the input, you ROCK!!!
:burnout:

I changed the oil and filter and was pleasantly suprised to see the pressure was back to normal. I will pass on that additive next time. Thanks guys for the input, you ROCK!!!
:burnout:
I`ve been keeping an eye on this thread, and was going to inquire or suggest that. It happen to me, only I was useing synthetic.
Dumped it, changed back to dino and wala!! wtf?
glad your good to go.

If there was a threaded hole right in front of the distributor when you pulled it out that means the oil galley plug never got put back in. If you take out the oil pump gear and manually prime the engine you will see a huge stream of oil come out of that hole. If there is a hole there you can put a plug back in it with an allen wrench without taking off the air cleaner. I was able to do that with my 360.

-
Back