Oil Pressure Problems Need Diagnosis

-

74DartSwinger360

The Brat Pack
Reaction score
In my car is a warmed over 360 with J Heads. When I first fire it up it screams and is strong. When it starts to warm up the pressure drops to 0 and begins to knock and overheat.
Does anyone know the problem or a solution?

sounds like the oil pump is shot. or you have a plugged galley, or you spun a cam or main bearing. if it is a rod knocking, chances are you spun a rod bearing and theres nothing you can do short of pulling it and rebuilding it , unless you want to attempt it with it in the car. sorry to hear ...

Forgot to add that when I pulled the manifold I discovered huge chunks and fine shavings of metal. Was hoping not having to pull but O well.

If My oil pressure dropped to 0, It would not Knock or overheat because I would have turned it off. Not to be mean but it sounds like you let it go too far.

This is how it happened I went to get gas which is a mile or so up the road no knock and it had been idling in the drive way for 15 mins. Thing is runnin like as strong as ever I pull in shut it off and fill it up. Fire it up go to pull out get to about 45 mph and pressure drops to 0 and water temp needle starts goin towards 200 then 215. it is at 220 when we finally get home after our 5 mph journey and it spills its guts(antifreeze) out all over the driveway. Let it cool filled the radiator fired it up the next day no knock until it warmed up.
I have been told it might be cam bearing the guy we bought it from said he rebuilt it. He said he was a heavy equipment mechanic and what we can figure he didnt do everything to the correct tolerances.

You dont have to be rude about it.:rambo:

This is how it happened I went to get gas which is a mile or so up the road no knock and it had been idling in the drive way for 15 mins. Thing is runnin like as strong as ever I pull in shut it off and fill it up. Fire it up go to pull out get to about 45 mph and pressure drops to 0 and water temp needle starts goin towards 200 then 215. it is at 220 when we finally get home after our 5 mph journey and it spills its guts(antifreeze) out all over the driveway. Let it cool filled the radiator fired it up the next day no knock until it warmed up.
I have been told it might be cam bearing the guy we bought it from said he rebuilt it. He said he was a heavy equipment mechanic and what we can figure he didnt do everything to the correct tolerances.

You dont have to be rude about it.:rambo:
Not trying to be rude but, you must learn from this. No Oil pressure means stop Immediately. not go 1 mile home at 5 MPH. My sister cooked a Nova engine this same way. Dad went berzerk on her for continuing to drive it hot w/o oil pressure. I make mistakes all the time but when someone calls me out on it, I admit I screwed up and try to learn from it.

You gotta make the mistake first before you can learn from it. Now I have done it and have learned and definately wont do it again. Plus if it was already knockin it was toast anyway.

-
Back