Oil Pressure Sending Unit - Leak?

-

69cudaownr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals
I have oil on the back of the engine, 318 with Edelbrock intake. I have installed a new gasket and sealant on the intake manifold. I have installed a new gasket and ring seal on the distributor. But I still have oil there.
Has anyone experienced a leaky oil pressure sending unit. It looks like a sealed unit. Can they leak?
Any help appreciated.

I have had the top blow off of one in the past so yes they will leak.

Yes they can and do leak. Presumably you have a factory gauge or light and the sending unit looks a little bit like a small can. These can leak from the crimped area, the threads, or sometimes from the top of the unit. When you are installing a new one, make sure you use thread sealer, either Teflon tape or a liquid type of pipe sealant, and don't overtighten it.

Yes they can leak. Also you can crack the housing on them if you install them to tight.

Be very careful using sealer on the threads- they are NPT threads and should seal on their own, too much sealer or tape can affect the unit's ability to complete an electrical ground and affect the operation of your light/gauge.

I would also suspect rocker cover gaskets. Causes of oil sender leaks include over-tightening, and distortion caused by improper tools. Having said that, I've changed a few with channel lock pliers

That oil sender unit has a tapered thread and can crack the block if over tightened ! I had an oil leak and it wasn't until I pulled the engine that I saw it. I cleaned out the crack and filed it a bit and put JB weld in it and it hasn't leaked since.

-
Back