oil pressure? slow

-

n8ling

Reaction score
Running elec fuel pump, and have slow oil pressure at start up. wondering if rod for mech fuel pump has an oil journal ,and if so would this cause pressure to build slowly????

Slow oil pressure or just slow OEM gauge ?

The correct answer is -- you need to temporarily install a MECHANICAL test gauge. You can use your compression tester. You DO have one, right? If it's the type with a standard air quick coupler fitting, easy--just get a spare air coupler nipple, bush it down to 1/8" US pipe and hook in place of the current gauge/ sender. You should be able to build almost instant pressure on the starter

Mechanical fuel pump -- One thing that might be an issue is if the pump diaphragm has sprung a leak and is putting fuel INTO THE CRANKCASE. Smell the oil. Gas smell? LOOK at it: Thin? If there is ANY doubt, CHANGE the oil and filter

We need more details. You didn't bother to even tell us what sort of engine you have. Is this a Mopar /6? SB? BB? Chevy swap? Perkins diesel? Pratt 'n Whitney radial?

What kind of gauge? factory, aftermarket, mechanical or electric?

What kind of oil you using? What weight? How long since the last change?

What condition do you believe the engine is in? Miles? It use any oil? What kind of pump you running?

800px-Monaco-Trossi1935-%281%29.jpg

6d4b4c268e4ed967c954aef6d45314de.jpg

Yep a Pratt and Whitney..................or a 8 cyl. Harley. (2 cylinders from a radial) lol

The correct answer is -- you need to temporarily install a MECHANICAL test gauge. You can use your compression tester. You DO have one, right? If it's the type with a standard air quick coupler fitting, easy--just get a spare air coupler nipple, bush it down to 1/8" US pipe and hook in place of the current gauge/ sender. You should be able to build almost instant pressure on the starter

Mechanical fuel pump -- One thing that might be an issue is if the pump diaphragm has sprung a leak and is putting fuel INTO THE CRANKCASE. Smell the oil. Gas smell? LOOK at it: Thin? If there is ANY doubt, CHANGE the oil and filter

We need more details. You didn't bother to even tell us what sort of engine you have. Is this a Mopar /6? SB? BB? Chevy swap? Perkins diesel? Pratt 'n Whitney radial?

What kind of gauge? factory, aftermarket, mechanical or electric?

What kind of oil you using? What weight? How long since the last change?

What condition do you believe the engine is in? Miles? It use any oil? What kind of pump you running?

800px-Monaco-Trossi1935-%281%29.jpg

6d4b4c268e4ed967c954aef6d45314de.jpg
well its in big block tech so i take it to be bb mopar and it has a electric pump and not a mech

My fault , asking for a friend!! 440 just rebuilt minus cam, block had, and still has good pressure, just much slower now. mech aka mechanical gauge test and tested. Just trying to figure why it is so slow? 512 stroked

OK, great. I failed to observe it was in BB. What sort of gauge, that is does it use the little 1/8" nylon/ copper line? That may be plugged. The answers still apply

On a B/ RB it might pay to pull the pump and inspect the gaskets/ O ring. There's an O ring on the stem where the pump snout goes into the block, and of course a gasket between the pump/ block.

There's always a possibility the pickup tube has cracked, letting in some air.

After it's running, does the gauge respond well with fluctuations in rpm, up & down? I once got a little piece of trash in the line and it was slow at first and then wouldn't even drop with the engine off. Doesn't take much with that little 1/8th inch tubing. I replaced the line and all was good. If by chance it's a plastic/nylon tube, it may have a kink in it.

Copper line sounds like a good place to start, it is also slow dropping off as well. Thanks for the insight!

Copper line sounds like a good place to start, it is also slow dropping off as well. Thanks for the insight!

I think either the line is plugged or crimped, or something wrong with that gauge.

-
Back