oil pressure startup..

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
long story short.. 65 273 2bbl auto cuda.... been piecing this project back together the PO started. he took it ALL apart. story I got from my buddy is that I traded for ...that when he got from the PO was......it had been running car when he started " the take apart episode"....

the short block was still together. I just replaced freeze plugs and gaskets. put the rest of it back together and dropped it back in the cuda and hooked everything up. my plan is IF the engine is no good, just look for another used one. I don't have a clean place the disassemble the short block. rebuilds are not on my plate...

late this afternoon, I got it started for the first time. the oil gauge ( cheap oreilly crap) immediately jumped right up and just as quick fell to 0. the sorry line jumped out of the gauge. I find another better ferrel for the line and start it back up. pressure jumps up to 65- maybe 70 # by that gauge. I let it run maybe 15 seconds. too dark to check for leaks at the carb or other important spots., and I shut it down...

my question is: isn't that a lot of pressure??? seems like all my other cars have about 50 # cold at idle. I assume the (original) oil pump that was in the engine was a standard pump. I didn't replace the pump either.

wondering about that high a pressure???? thanks

My original 318 80K mile engine will hit 60 to 65 at start up. Once warm it drops to around 30-35 at idle.

glad to here that. I get paranoid fooling with this car.... so MANY missing small parts and just some screwed up stuff!!

I will get it going again in morning and see if I get oiling to the rockers. its just stock solid lifers, and check for leaks. thanks, I will sleep better tonight!

I had an engine run 100 psi cold and 75 warm, no problem and it was a daily driver.

Stock oil pressure is usually about 55.

wow!!! never had anywhere near 100 !! but all my stuff is 3rd and 4 th hand!!!!! I was just happy when it fired and no smoke or knock ( that I could hear). I generally buy rollers and projects but seems like this car has been an extra "challenge".

id be more worried about low pressure than high

if it really bugs you drain the oil and run straight 0 weight in it ;)

My psi @ idle is 70# and after it warms up it will idle around 50# and crusin down the road it will stay around 55#-60#. The heavier the oil the higher the psi. I'm running 10W-40

What they said. Never had a problem with high startup pressures. If it continued to go up with rpm's when warm, might be a concern. But i wouldnt sweat those numbers at all.

-
Back