Oil Pressure Too High

-

sanktberni

Reaction score
Fired my solid roller 416 Friday, and the oil pressure is about 70psi at idle. Whenever I rev it to over 2500 it goes up over 100psi!!! (on two different guages). The filter then of course leaks badly. I also tried a new Wix filter, same thing.

I am thinking I will have to drop the pan and go for a pump relief valve that may be sticking. New Melling hi volume. Is there anything else that could cause this? I see a plug behind the plate where the filter spins on Should that passage maybe be open? Thanks for advice in advance.
Mike Wingeier

i had the very same issue with a melling hv pump and the only fix was to change the pump my oil prussure was so high it would ballon the oil filter well over 100psi sorry for your problems with your new engine i know the feeling

It has to be in the pressure releif valve/spring. That sets the pressure for the engine. Change the spring or the oil pump. See what happens.

In Guitar Jones' oil mod thread he mentions that some melling pumps had the spring plug in backwards (cup facing out instead of in) thus, causing rediculously high pressures....might want to give that a check??
The plug behind the filter plate would be used for a remote oil filter....according to the same thread.

Thanks Guitar!! I learned something...and retained it.LOL

:hello2:
In Guitar Jones' oil mod thread he mentions that some melling pumps had the spring plug in backwards (cup facing out instead of in) thus, causing rediculously high pressures....might want to give that a check??
The plug behind the filter plate would be used for a remote oil filter....according to the same thread.

Thanks Guitar!! I learned something...and retained it.LOL

People say 10psi per one thousand rpm-
-what do you guys think?
Every time i ask as to whether or not to use a high volume oil pump on my small block build, I get a different answer. Someone always asks, street or strip-which pisses me off because I building a performance engine that won't see ANY easy mileage. It's more like strip or track.
I have heard from the country racers around here that less than that is more-& plenty of pressure, and then after that peoples' opinions go all over the place with regards to bearings' spacing in regards to oiling-especially in big block setups..?

What are your clearances on the crank?(if you know)What weight oil?Stock oil pan,how much does it hold?

I've been building SB's for over 20 years with the Melling high volume pump with the high pressure spring with no problem. I have had oil pressure from 60 - 100 psi and run them over 200, 000 miles.

I used a TRW high volume pump ONCE. It lost pressure at 500 miles on the engine. TRW claimed that they would pay for damage if it was their fault. When we inspected the pump we could not budge the oil pressure relief valve with the longest Craftsman screwdriver at the time. "When we sent it back to TRW they cliamed we "cleaned" out the pump. Their official "lab" analysis was, "The failure was caused by tiny minute particles small enough to fit through the stock oil pickup screen" that got lodged in the pump and stuck the valve.

They rebuilt the pump and sent it back to me and would not cover the cost of any damages to the engine. (how nice of them to rebuild the pump for free for me - thanks guys). If their pump can't handle anything that the stock pickup tube screen can't filter out, it is junk to me... I could not trust TRW after that, and sold the "new" pump to someone else for $25 after telling them the story and told them if it blows your engine, you take it up with TRW - I want nothing else to do with that. I still to this day, do not buy any TRW parts because of this. I have since been using the Mellings/Mopar pumps and they have run fine with no problems.

OK, now for your pressure inquiry:

I would say 45 to 100 is good for an engine running above idle. I use the minimum 20 psi at idle rule. As long as you can get 20 psi or more at idle (in gear is better), you should be ok. I think the best way to explain it is as long as you can get the oil there, let the oil do its job. There is a phenomena called "boundary layer lubrication". This is where you have a journal and a bearing shell with oil between them with tight clearances. The oil will form a boundary layer and not let the two metal pieces contact each other. Due to the tight clearances and the layer of oil (which cannot be compressed) the oil will cause the two pieces to "float" and not let them contact each other. It's similiar to hydraulic lock. You can't compress a liquid. Then the oil can support the load between the journal and the bearing shell and keep them from contacting each other. This keeps the two parts from contacting each other and wearing.

To test this you can perform this simple test. Take a large piece of sheet metal (let's say 12" square). Then pour some oil on it right out of a new bottle of oil. Then take another smaller piece of metal (let's say 1 or 2 inch square) and place it on the oil. Use a stick or rod and then try to press the smaller metal piece to the larger piece. It can move freely from side to side and not ever contact the larger plate (making sure there are no sharp burrs on the edges).

So basically, as long as you can supply a decent amount of pressure (45 - 100) and keep the parts supplied with oil, the boundary layer lubrication will take over and prevent the metal to metal contact which wears the parts. Just get the oil there with enough volume and pressure and have a good oil. In a racing condition, I would be more comfortable with a pressure of 50 - 60 minimum over 6000 rpm.

It was actually quite simple, I went to a stock flow Melling after I heard they had a bad run of the high flows. Pressure came down to 65 PSI idle, 80 at around 3,000 RPM. I am running 15w-40, am going to change tomorrow to 5w-30, should come down to what I think normal, like 50-PSI idle hot, and maybe 75 PSI max at higher RPM, will let you all know Thanks!

I had a physics teacher and gear head in college.
The walls of his office was covered in photos of him road racing AC Cobra's when they were new.
He told me one thing and it has stuck with me.

He said and I quote "Always use the thinnest oil that you can get by with" he went on to state thicker oils may not allow quick enough drain back to the oil pan, creating oil starvation problems.

Good luck,sankt.Lost my 408 due to a o/p drive shaft.Didn't know.

Hello, I have heard from some very knowlegeable Mopar people that the Melling pumps are the problem. Check with Herb McCandless. He was the one that brought this to my attention. Good Luck.

Abodybomber, I know about the oil pump drive shaft tips breaking off, mostly on Hi Volume pumps with no hardened tip on the Intermediate shaft. I got the hardened one with the fillets at the top of the hex part where it transitions to the round shaft. The stockers are just cut onto the shaft with no fillets over the hex faces. Mancini sells them, among others. Thanks
Mike

-
Back