Oil pump drive gear stuck

-
i use an unworn driveshaft to drive the bushing in, and then spin it until it spins freely.
I've done that too with a used shaft as a driver... the new shaft was tad stiff 'till I spun it a while and then it was fine.

It may be that the burnished tool does a better job of 'mooshing' the bronze in place by compressing the bushing after it in final position.

tap it in...told you so......:thumbsup:

I think the burnishing tool is just a precision fit driver that prevents the bushing from reducing in size once the bushing is driven into place? Dont know, not really important anymore....

tap it in...told you so......:thumbsup:

I think the burnishing tool is just a precision fit driver that prevents the bushing from reducing in size once the bushing is driven into place? Dont know, not really important anymore....
To tell the truh I was afraid to "tap it in". I did that in 1979 when I was a kid with a 340 I rebuilt myself. Didn't get drive gear hex down far enough into oil pump drive and chewed the oil pump drive up. Didn't know it at the time but knew I had no oil pressure at startup. The trauma from that incident resurfaced during this adventure!

I have had good luck using DuraBond bushings.. they seem to fit better than the generics you find in those gasket kits.

-
Back