Oil Pump Fitment

-

MikeG69

Reaction score
20160909_150936.jpg
20160909_150936.jpg
Engine is a 1977 360. I bought the engine rebuilt and did not have an oil pump. I purchased a melling 72s pump.

The mounting neck will not fully seat, which does not allow the pump outlet base to mate up flush with the bearing cap.

There is a "step" (see attached pic) View attachment 1714966625 in the bushing hole that may be causing the problem. I don't have a mic or caliper that I can get in there to confirm dimensions against the pump.

Has anyone else run into this? What's the fix?

Last edited:
What main bolts are you using?
I've heard or ARPs causing interference

Did you remove the intermediate shaft ?

as stated above, Arp studs notoriously hit the housing on the pumps and cause fitment issues. Is this the issue you are having? Your pic isnt really revealing. Let us know.

Intermediate shaft is out

Standard bolts.

Here is another pic. Ill need to get one tomorrow showing more.

20160909_150900.jpg

If there is the smallest burr on the pump or in the recess where it mounts, it can be very difficult to get the pump to seat. I would inspect it very closely. You may need to lightly file an area to make it fit correctly. I have before.

Ill take another look but did not see anything when inspecting before. I may need to put on my inspector gadget goggles.

I use a magnifying glass on suspect items. Lots of times things will pop out.

FWIW, the pump housing is not designed to fully seat against the small step in the shaft hole that you show; the housing just needs to engage that hole enough to allow the hole to locate the pump laterally around the shaft axis. It could be a burr as said or the pump is not machined right. Does it go in part way and then stop?

Thanks for everyone's help.

I was able to get it together today after monkeying around with it.

It's bolted up fine and the pump spins like it should.

-
Back