oil pump gasket, yeah or nay

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
I bought a std vol pump from a member & he included the gasket. should I use it or toss it? I do lightly drawfile to get the mating surfaces flat. thank you for your time. RR

Six of one, half dozen of the other.
Personally, I've never pulled apart one that had a gasket, so I don't use them going back together. With a high pressure pump it might be a good idea... But I don't think you're wrong either way. Considering the current state of quality control on machining of replacement parts, it's probably not a bad idea.
How's that for a wishy-washy answer? :)

If a gasket is included, I say use it.

Do you want to draw air or oil into the pump? There is a reason the pickup is at the bottom of the pan.

Use a gasket.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.
Personally, I've never pulled apart one that had a gasket, so I don't use them going back together. With a high pressure pump it might be a good idea... But I don't think you're wrong either way. Considering the current state of quality control on machining of replacement parts, it's probably not a bad idea.
How's that for a wishy-washy answer? :)
That gasket is so thin I don't think it would help with any manufacturing irregularities.

Especially with a aftermarket or different-than-the-factory oil pump, use the gasket. I always use Indian Head Shellac on both sides the gasket (very thin coat)

Good to see you are paying attention! No sense have a leak there. Gasket seems good.

Do it. if it makes you feel good.
* true liberal!
I don’t think it makes any difference. Both surfaces are flat, torque it down and go.

Do it. if it makes you feel good.
* true liberal!
I don’t think it makes any difference. Both surfaces are flat, torque it down and go.

Yeah, actually it does. A Melling engineer said in a webinar that an oil pump needs a gasket. He ought to know and he’s not guessing like some people do.

Yeah, actually it does. A Melling engineer said in a webinar that an oil pump needs a gasket. He ought to know and he’s not guessing like some people do.
I'm not arguing the point, because it is valid. But Chrysler engineers didn't think it was necessary, and that's not a place where "cost cutting" would come into play. Like I said earlier, probably with an HP/HV pump is where it may become more critical.

I'm not arguing the point, because it is valid. But Chrysler engineers didn't think it was necessary, and that's not a place where "cost cutting" would come into play. Like I said earlier, probably with an HP/HV pump is where it may become more critical.

I don’t know Chrysler protocol for what got a gasket and what didn’t, but every engine I’ve pulled apart that I could verify was a virgin had a gasket. And to add to that wacky-ness, I never took apart a virgin that had soft plugs in the oil galleries.

I wish there was an explanation but I damn sure don’t have one.

Coat the #5 main cap with Diekem and put the pump on finger tight and tap it sideways with a ball peign hammer. It will show if the mating surfaces are good or not.

Often a surface will suck air before it will leak a liquid...I have had that issue on oil fittings.

OKI will use that paper thin gasket with maybe some permatex "high tack" thin spray on & first drawfile it lightly, thanks guys. RR

-
Back