oil pump

-

scamp1973

Reaction score
I need to pull my oil pump off to fix some leaks,is there anything I should after I put it back on before starting the car,i remember I did an oil pump on a 3.8 buick motor and had to pack the pump with vaseline to create suction...
thanks

I need to pull my oil pump off to fix some leaks,is there anything I should after I put it back on before starting the car,i remember I did an oil pump on a 3.8 buick motor and had to pack the pump with vaseline to create suction...
thanks

curious myself, also how hard of a job is it?

well the book says to lift the engine 2in for clearance,but it looks like i mught be able to get out from the bottom,I will let you know though.

well the book says to lift the engine 2in for clearance,but it looks like i mught be able to get out from the bottom,I will let you know though.

i would appreciate it as i definitely need to swap mine out as it is leaking
also.

looks like mine is leaking from a cover thats on the oil pump itself,the motor needs to be lifted like the manual says,but im just going to pull the motor out to clean it up,I do need some help on what size bolts to use to attach and where to attach to the block when I lift it,I do have a balancer for my hoist to lift it

If you're pulling the engine it's a fairly forthright job. If there is a bunch of deposits on the pump body where it goes into the block (like on a high miler) it might take a bit to get the pump out. Try to work some WD40 onto the housing and rotate it while you push and pull. If you're doing it with the engine in the car, I loosen the LH engine mount and pull the RH engine mount and distributor to get some working room. Set up the engine so it's on TDC for #1 so you can get the distributor back in and reset. Then jack the engine up to gain enough clearence. Just preoil the pump and filter on installation.

Thanks for the info,I still want to pull the motor to fix sme other things and clean it up,just need to know what size and type of bolts to use to lift the motor so i don't break anything and drop the engine since i'll be doing it alone.

there are 2 threaded bosses on top of the head, on the valve cover rail. the front one can be used to pull the motor only and is a perfect balance point. The rear one is a balance point with the trans attached. Dont know if these were put there for this purpose, but they work perfectly for hoist points. Just use a grade 8 bolt and thread it in all the way until it bottoms, then attach a chain and hoist 'er up. There is a piece that looks like angle iron that bolts to these boss' that has a chain hole in it that is the "official" piece to use, but suit yourself. I have used 1 bolt attached to a lift chain to pull both motor and trans together from the rear boss. Just use common safety practices and never go under a hoisted load.

there are 2 threaded bosses on top of the head, on the valve cover rail. the front one can be used to pull the motor only and is a perfect balance point. The rear one is a balance point with the trans attached. Dont know if these were put there for this purpose, but they work perfectly for hoist points. Just use a grade 8 bolt and thread it in all the way until it bottoms, then attach a chain and hoist 'er up. There is a piece that looks like angle iron that bolts to these boss' that has a chain hole in it that is the "official" piece to use, but suit yourself. I have used 1 bolt attached to a lift chain to pull both motor and trans together from the rear boss. Just use common safety practices and never go under a hoisted load.
thanks u helped me too

I done the oil pump R&R both ways. On a overhead lift is a cakewalk.
Wooden blocks between the motor supports. Of course the fan shroud, exhaust pipes, starter, etc.. need to be removed.
Crawling around under the car to do it is hard labor.
Good luck either way.

-
Back