oil pump

-

rm69dart

Reaction score
Hi everyone

doing my first rebuild on my 340, my be a dum question but sence this is my first rebuild just want to make sure. does the installation if the oil pump take any gasket or o-ring. Thanks for info.

Yes install a gasket. Do not reuse the old pump. If you buy a new pump it should be included as stated above. If your asking about a gasket you mus be intending to reuse the pump. Bad idea !

machined surface to a machined surface you should be alright, i made my own gasket anyway. ive seen more than one original mopar engine that didnt have any exhaust manifold gaskets, same principal.

Hi everyone

doing my first rebuild on my 340, my be a dum question but sence this is my first rebuild just want to make sure. does the installation if the oil pump take any gasket or o-ring. Thanks for info.
this is from Hughes engines web sit.
Oiling system:
Small Blocks
Many times the mounting surface for the oil pump on the main cap is not level. Grind or mill it flat and do not use a gasket. The oil passage from the pump does not line up with the passage in the main cap. Grind out this “stepover” area in the cap to prevent a restriction here. The 360” is worse than the 340”. Restrict the oil flow through cam bearings #1 - #3 - #5 only by drilling a new 1/8” oil hole in the cam bearing and then install bearing with this new, smaller hole aligned with the feed passage from the mains. Run a straight 1⁄4” reamer(our P/N 8350) completely through the main bearing oil feed passages #1 -#3 - #5 coming down from the right hand lifter oil galley. Run a 9/32” reamer (P/N 8352) completely through the #2 - #4 main bearing feed passages. The intersection of the large threaded oil passage, from the center of the oil filter to the main passage running to the rear of the block is very rough in many cases. Smooth out all the rough spots and sharp edges in the intersection. Do not attempt to drill the passages deeper.
If you are using our main stud girdle, it needs to clear all rotating parts by .030”.
A standard volume oil pump will supply enough oil to a 650 HP engine with the above modifications, a windage tray and 5 quarts of oil in the pan. We suggest our oil pan P/N 6104 for 340’s and P/N 6107 for 360’s; both use screen, P/N #6907. Position SCREEN 1/4” to 5/16” from the bottom of the pan. Oil pressure of 9# per 1000 RPM is adequate. Maximum pressure over 65 P.S.I. is not recommended.

-
Back