oil pumps,,high pressure,high volume,both?

-
I prefer either a stock or a high volume on a street motor. The high pressure units put more strain on the cam, timing chain, and oil pump gear.

FWIW: I'm running a stock pump and a windage tray in the Demon.

stock pump with non modified oil galleys.

high volume with modified.

then there's bearing clearance app, might need the high pressure/volume with real loose clearances.

the more you compress oil/fluids the more heat you makeand the more hp you eat up.

if you use a high volume you will possibly suck your syetem dry under high rpm's unless you add a larger oil pan. I have a 340 pushing well over 400 hp and the stock pump is holding average 40 to 50 lbs. I'd stay stock.

just curious as to what everyone prefers on a rebuild, and possibly some pros and cons?

If you run a high volume pump make dam sure you've got a good windage tray installed and that your oil pan has both acceleration and de-celeration baffles unless you want to run the pump dry.

So long as the clearances on the mains are good the stock pump is fine for volume but the factory pump bypasses at about 50-55psi. So what I use is the MP high pressure spring pkg so the bypass is raised to 65-70psi. I also use the MP oil pump drive as raising the pressure or volume can easilly overload the oil pump drive and shear or spin the gear on a stock one.

The "HP" high pressure pumps have the smaller volume but that higher pressure potential.

The "HV" high volume pumps have the higher volume and the higher bypass pressure potential. This one MUST use a good oil pump drive.

I use HV pumps when the clearances are unknown. Everything else uses a stock displacement pump.

1wild, I'm pretty sure oil pump output has a range... With the right spring, or shim, or **** in the bypass valve, a stock pump will reach 65psi in a otherwise healthy engine. I've never seen one go higher hot, but I certainly don't build thousands of them. I'm also curious why if you modify the passages that you'd need a bigger volume pump?

Pro - the HV pump already has the higher pressure spring. You can also by the stock volume pump with the spring in it... Look for the "HP" suffix instead of the "HV". It's good practice to disassemble any new oil pump before you use it to make sure it's free of debris so I just use the MP kit and a stock pump and replace it myself. Price wise it's close to the same $$. You could pull the cap and shim any pump to get a higher bypass pressure but that won't really help with the HV unit until you change the pickup design to allow more oil to the suction side of the pump.

stock pump with non modified oil galleys.

Just reasons/examples...
High volume with modified= When someone go's through the galleys/passages opening'em up/cross drilling/taping lines across the lifter galley, they're usually racing and have race app clearances .0025+ or what ever, beside the fact that if they messed with all orface sizes dictate pressure too.
How about cam priority oiling?

Then there's bearing clearance app [again], might need the high pressure/volume with real loose clearances=You know.. the guy with tired motor that has decent cylinder pressure so he decides to do a gasket reseal and pump change, or better yet the guy that does the re-ring/bearing deal but the mains/rods are loooose

the more you compress oil/fluids the more heat you make and the more hp you eat up.
:cheers:

Rod to rod oil clearance is also vary important. my first eng build. I had vary vary low pressure at idle with a hi volume hi pressure pump installed.

when i built it the 2nt time, i kept the same oil pump but installed some "nos" stock 340 rod by brother found at the dealership.

I have way to much oil pressure with 5w20 in it now. before it was 20/50......................................:read2:

Hi , when i restart my stock small block i using a meilling hv for compensate the middle wear and restored a acceptable pressure , with a oil pump stock my pressure is bad .

-
Back