Oil restriction ??s

-

wigsplitter74

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
So my very young motor is apart because when the trans came apart it cracked an ear off of the block. Since I'm having a new block machined I had to tear down the motor and I found some rod bearing material. All clearances were spot on, the bearings weren't tight so I have to believe this was an oil control problem. I was using a stock midsump pan and pickup and racing the car. I have now added 1.5" to the pan and am now installing baffles to keep the oil in the sump. I'm wondering if I should also use oil restrictors to keep some more oil to the mains rather than letting it flood the cam and lifters. I run a solid flat tappet cam. I want to know what you guys do to remedy this issue and if I'm on the right track. Any input, especially pics are very appreciated. If all goes well I wana try and run in the young guns race at the nats since I'm 21 and it shoulda went 11's. Thanks FABO!!

Did you install the tube in the lifter galleys as per the Mopar Performance book ? When you tube the block you make also want to put a lighter spring in the oil pump bypass.

You need to provide a little more info.. What do you mean you found bearing material? Can you post pictures of the bearings, from and backsides too? What were the clearances exactly? What bearings were used? What rpm are you looking at?

Did you install the tube in the lifter galleys as per the Mopar Performance book ? When you tube the block you make also want to put a lighter spring in the oil pump bypass.

When you say tube the lifter galleys do you mean the actual lifter bores or the lines through the block? I didn't tube the bores because that's expensive and is mainly for roller cams from what I've heard. I didn't tube or restrict anything yet. Also the oil pump is just a basic Melling Std. volume replacement and the motor always had great oil pressure (I suspect the problem wasn't bad enough yet to show a loss)

You need to provide a little more info.. What do you mean you found bearing material? Can you post pictures of the bearings, from and backsides too? What were the clearances exactly? What bearings were used? What rpm are you looking at?

I can't do pics, I found goldish material in the pan when I removed it, then I found that a rod bearing next to the thrust bearing was scored and showed signs of heat, the thrust bearing showed a little wear on one edge but Im sure that's because of how hard things kicked when it blew up the trans. The bearings were all Clevite, I think P series but can't remember for sure anymore, I also don't remember the exact clearances but my engine builder was very meticulous in getting them where they needed to be. I was shifting at 66-6700rpm.

Goldish material's kind of vague. Which rod showed hot? Witht he rpms you're turning, I'd say either you need to get much more meticulous to verify things are perfect yourself, or trust the machinist. If there are signs of a problem, regardless of reputation or intent, something was not kosher. For what you're doing, the stock oil system is fine, provided there's sufficient drain back and splash control and the clearance and finish on the crank is perfect. Start with the basics. It might surprise you how little needs to be done on a drag racing engine.

-
Back