Oil to rockers, need help for a friend.

-

flyfish

C8H18+N2O = :-D
Reaction score
I have a friend that just built a 318 stroker, trying to get oil to the rockers but he is only seeing oil on the passenger side as he rotates the engine. I don't remember how many degrees you need to turn the motor to get oil to the driver side....anyone remember? Does anything else raise a red flag? Thanks in advance.

On a small block:
Turn the motor to 90* before top dead center coming up on #1 compression. The pass. side rockers should get oil.
Turn the motor to 20* after top dead center just past #6 compression. The drivers side rockers should get oil.

On a small block:
Turn the motor to 90* before top dead center coming up on #1 compression. The pass. side rockers should get oil.
Turn the motor to 20* after top dead center just past #6 compression. The drivers side rockers should get oil.

Thanks Tony, this should be it (I hope). :prayer:

I just had this happen to me with my 360, was unable to get normal oil pressure and driver side lifters would not pump up. Actually got the solution here on FABO. Check for a plug in the rear of the block by oil pump drive gear. mine was left out during machine shop procedure. Installed plug,cured problems.

Could the rocker shaft be installed upside down?

Or the cam bearing blocking the oil hole to that side head....

It's common for Chevy shops to install the bearings without the oil hole lined up

Yes you can install the rocker arm shaft upside down, I am not sure about the cam bearings, I believe you can also install cam bearings incorrectly. The way I found out it was the oil galley plug was,when I spun the oil pump after pump and lifter replacement, the oil sprayed out of the distributor hole, and a similar condition was reported here on FABO. So I looked in the distributor hole and saw the plug was missing. It is also not a part that auto part stores carry, at least not where I live. Had to get it from local engine builder. I had to make my own tool to install it without pulling engine or trans, just the intake was pulled.

Oil plug in vertical gallery leading to sender...........easy to check straight piece of rod

Forementioned screw in plug, look down dist. hole

Shafts wrong

Cam bearings wrong ALSO easy to check. Get some brass welding rod. Pull both shafts and insert down oil hole from head. SLOWLY rotate crank and "feel" for rod dropping "down into" cam. Be careful you don't want to shear the test rod off

Any chance??? you got some odd batch of "wrong" lifters and they are uncovering the oil cavities allowing oil to leak out?

Years ago someone sold somebody the wrong lifters. They were "several thousands" two small. Don't remember what they were, in our catalog they were something like reversed numerals in the part no's. Easy mistake.

I guess it is possible to go through the distributor hole, I already had the intake off to replace the lifters(which was not necessary, as I later found out).

-
Back